Ultimate wreck rescue? What IS this GT?

Definitely a 91 or 92 era u-brake frame. Probably a Zaskar from 92 because most of the early ones (late 90-91 production) had the serial number on the inside of the rear dropouts. The 92 Panteras also had their "H" staring serial numbers on the inside of the dropout.

So yours is ground off on the inside of the dropout too where the aluminum grade 6061 or 7005 stamping would be also?

That rear hanger can be fixed with one of these universal hangers:

http://www.amazon.com/derailleur-hanger ... B000G9YPK6

Rob Atkin":1ps0mwcm said:
I hope people dont think I'm trying to pass this off as a Zaskar when I know otherwise. I genuinely have no idea and was needing some expertise. I am veering towards the idea that it is as it has some reasonable stuff attached to it, but it was just abused and neglected before i got it. I'd like to pass it on to someone who will love it and look after it and kit it out as it should be.
Swaps would be my preference - I want red splatter GT Karakoram in 16" one day!!

Don't know if you mean me, but I wasn't suggesting that at all. Nor was I criticising you for starting this thread - you're just asking for a frame ID, no probs there. I just found it amusing, how much time we spend talking about whether or not this bike or that bike is a GT Zaskar on here.

beagle":21fpal7z said:
Don't know if you mean me, but I wasn't suggesting that at all. Nor was I criticising you for starting this thread - you're just asking for a frame ID, no probs there. I just found it amusing, how much time we spend talking about whether or not this bike or that bike is a GT Zaskar on here.

I think we are just actively asking and answering the right questions over and over again to protect those who might bid or buy a Pantera that some seller is trying to pass off as a Zaskar.

Well I suppose it's the same for all websites, there's always going to be some popular product or question that gets asked time and time again. It's up to the experts to be patient and keep trying to help. I wasn't having a go at anyone to be honest.
I think this was a little different this time - I had read the advice on how to identify between the 2 frames but it didn't help.

Any advice on how to remove the shimano BB that appears to be stuck in the frame would be appreciated!!
I poured about a pint of water out of the frame when I got home!!

Rob Atkin":35hh7pca said:
Well I suppose it's the same for all websites, there's always going to be some popular product or question that gets asked time and time again. It's up to the experts to be patient and keep trying to help. I wasn't having a go at anyone to be honest.
I think this was a little different this time - I had read the advice on how to identify between the 2 frames but it didn't help.

Any advice on how to remove the shimano BB that appears to be stuck in the frame would be appreciated!!
I poured about a pint of water out of the frame when I got home!!

Don't think anyone's got a problem Rob, certainly not with you asking the question. It's one of those frames that is 99% likely to be a Zaskar, and the grinding of the serial/stamp hints at it being stolen, but again there's nothing conclusive. The main thing is that it's been 'outed'!

BB removal - LGF is your man: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98595&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

IDB1 wrote:
velomaniac wrote:
Yup, thats a Pantera

How can you be sure without the aluminium grade and serial number?

Hes guessin

For the record I was guessing, just looked exactly like the Pantera I sold to Mikee. I am now more informed as to the subtle differences and for the further record I didn't like it or I suspect a similar Zaskar.Please dont go on at length to me about how wrong I am, up here in MacRetroland we've got mikee to champion the GT and champion them he does, over and over again :roll: :LOL:

velomaniac":pgugpb3e said:
Please dont go on at length to me about how wrong I am

I really was just asking..

It was only reently I learned that not all Zaskars had replaceable mech hangers so thought there may be some more relevant info to learn :cool:

Back