1x9. What size chainring?

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm thinking 32?
I have 32 and 36 unramped rings, so sods law dictates that i'll be needing a 34 :? :D
All help greatfully recieved ;)

Seeing as you're running a 9 speed block it's not going to make a huge difference in normal riding.. as the block should give you a good range of ratios

IMHO, if you're doing more climbing go for the 32, and if you're doing more downhilling go for the 38.... simples

On my 1 x 7 I run a 34 at the front and 11-23 at the back. I do spin out occasionally downhill but manage fine in terms of climbing etc. Though in truth I find my self not changing gear too often and think of it as a single speed with a safety clause in case of hills.

Tazio":fp16eiws said:
On my 1 x 7 I run a 34 at the front and 11-23 at the back. I do spin out occasionally downhill but manage fine in terms of climbing etc. Though in truth I find my self not changing gear too often and think of it as a single speed with a safety clause in case of hills.

:cool:

I've got an 11-34 cassette.
So 32 front and 34 rear is slightly better than 1-1 which is good for the uphills :D
and 32 front and 11 rear should be fine downhill unless its steep, in which case i'll have the brakes on anyway :D
Sound about right? I'm thinking 36 front will make the uphill much harder :oops: :? :D

36!

i run 36x12-26
works lovely
if you find it hard to begin with, you will get used to it

Will stick with 36 for the time being, seeing as thats what i fitted first as i couldn't find the 32 at the time :D

Back