serial number on b/b shell ? pantera

serial number on the dropout ? zaskar

no matter what it is ,was it cheap ?

mikee":1hlkjmij said:
serial number on b/b shell ? pantera

serial number on the dropout ? zaskar

no matter what it is ,was it cheap ?

I'd rather not say. :)

I think it has been stolen at some point in it's life as something has been ground off the inside of the LH dropout. I'm out of the house now so I can't check the BB shell so you'll just have to wait to see if there is anything there.... :-D

Ok after some basic cleaning I've uncovered some more detail.
There has been an attempt to grind off 2 lots of numbers.
This is on the LH dropout.

ffba96c7.jpg

This is on the bottom bracket. The cable guide here is riveted on. I can see 2 numbers "55" that start the numbering. Thus actually partly starts on the weld and isn't straight. I reckon that might be the police postcoding of the bike - house number 55 then a postcode? Might be wrong I suppose. Isn't manufacturers frame number normally on straight? There are no other numbers on the frame.

This picture doesn't show it very clearly but it's the best I can do.

0a5c1f0f.jpg

I can't see why they would try and grind off a number on the inside of the dropout if there wasn't one there in the first place!?!
So is this a Zaskar?

Probably is an early Zaskar :cool: , could have been stolen at some point, the grinding of the numbers an attempt to mask any I.D

Would clean up nice (and Gil does very nice early decal kits), as mentioned the missing hanger aint the end of the world.

quick grind the rest of the numbers off
should clean up well, nice light single speed ?

If it was nicked I wouldn't beat yourself up about it.

You bought from a scrappy (and it is scrap without the hanger
fixing) and not the person who nicked it you could
legitimately say you bought in good faith.

My Zaskar was probably stolen recovered or some other dodgy
origin. I know this cos I bought it from the Police !!

And thanks to FMJ for answering the 'can you stick a replaceable
hanger on a broken fixed one' question. There have been a few
bikes like that recently and I wondered.

I've had a few high-end GT's stolen, I've even got the serial numbers from BITD, and if one turned up on here I wouldn't be bothered at all - in fact I'd be happy to see it getting the use, and possibly the love it deserves, rather than sitting in a shed or a scrap-yard. How gushing was that! :oops:

Someone probably got an insurance pay-out many years ago - if they didn't and you ever bumped into the original owner (unlikely) then what's it worth in the state you found it?

Back