Not Strictyl Retro but interesting nonetheless

That looks beautifully put together. But how much does it need an old school 531 style transfer to tell you what tubing it's made of? Likewise the Bob Jackson transfer on the downtube. If you're going to go all baroque on the lug cutting, might as well go the whole hog...

I think they were making these years ago but then stopped. Not sure why, possibly because the design rights were sold on? Could be wrong as usual!

Didn't know they'd started making them again. Is £850 to much for a hand-crafted steel frame with hand-cut lugs etc. these days? Personally I wouldn't pay it, but then I wouldn't want a Hetchins look-a-like. Or even a real one come to that.

The price is probably low, not sure the lugs will be hand cut, the fancy stuff is probably extensions to the lugs that are brazed on after the frame has been put together. A guy had some for sale on ebay:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HETCHINS-BRAZE-ON ... 599wt_1141

Personally I am not taken with Hetchins either, all a bit lacy for me, give me a nice spearpoint with a cut out any day.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Didn't the guy who bought Jackson also buy the rights to Hetchins? Anyway, any design rights are likely to expired after 50 years for a 'registered' design. If you look a the prices US customers are paying for hand-crafted frames these days, £850 is pretty reasonable - and expect that's the market they're aiming for.

Back