1950'ish Hercules Brochure

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
From my late friend's collection of catalogues I have initially selected this one to show. It is a large publication, usefully housed in a type of sprung binder with removable pages so easy to scan! Hercules at the time (which I reckon is around 1950, definitely post war as one of the boys bikes is named 'The Jeep') were one of the largest UK cycle manufacturers of utility, sports and childrens bikes. Amongst many pages of components for roadster and childrens bikes there are these.

I've heard of the Perry 'back-pedalling' brake (or 'Coaster' as it is called) but not used one. The hub-gear is new to me (was it a Sturmey-archer design manufactured under licence or all their own?) and the derailleur is one I've only read about.

Has anyone ever had, seen or used any of these items?

Lots more brochures to scan in due course!

Attachments

• Hercules.5.A.jpg
    Hercules.5.A.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,563
  • Hercules.4.A.jpg
    Hercules.4.A.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,563
  • Hercules.3.A.jpg
    Hercules.3.A.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,563
  • Hercules.2.A.jpg
    Hercules.2.A.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,563
Young ned, Early 50's, I could get closer. The 3 speed hub from the exploded diagram is identical to the AW, apart from the screwed cog, SA was on 3 splines. must try to remember whether it was parts compatible. Can't imagine why they bothered with the Heraillieur, rather like the Phillips Resilion, a waste of space.
Coaster hub was essential on export to americas, where the one brake was sufficient, but with our 2 independent brakes law if you had a coaster hub you still needed another brake. Rarely seen.
Hercules were widely known pre WW2 for the cheapest bikes, although they were not worse than others. I retailed some Hercules at that time (1950's).
They also listed some lighter models that no-one ever saw.

Definitely early post war, judging by the picture of the factory with the Scammell"mechanical horse"commercial vehicle depicted.

These were in widespread use across London especially at the major BR stations like Victoria.

Think they dissapeared around the late 1960s.

Little before my time though.

Roadking.

The Scammel Scarab was used by BR because the loading bays were built for horses, so needed the same turning circle.
My spokes were delivered by one of these in the early 1960's. The order of over 100 gross was packed in a small wooden crate. The amusement was to watch the delivery driver trying to pick up the small crate, as it usually weighed 160 to 170 pounds.
I think they were in use right through the 1960's.

keithglos":113yyz8b said:
The Scammel Scarab was used by BR because the loading bays were built for horses, so needed the same turning circle.
My spokes were delivered by one of these in the early 1960's. The order of over 100 gross was packed in a small wooden crate. The amusement was to watch the delivery driver trying to pick up the small crate, as it usually weighed 160 to 170 pounds.
I think they were in use right through the 1960's.

I know.

Hence my original comment about the Scammell being known as the"mechanical horse".

I only just remember them at London stations especially Victoria in the 1960s.

Roadking

Back