My 2nd Gillott!

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok so the other Gillott remains untouched but I went ahead and got myself another anyway.

I've not had a chance for a thorough examination but it is a 1966 model according to the serial number. Relaxed geometry. Airlite hubs, Record rear mech, GB stem with rather beautifully engraved bars, gb levers, Williams crank, some intersting period pedals (not pictured).

The colour was originally pillar box red and that lug on the chainstay is for a Benelux gear.

I intend to restore/ sympathetic rebuild it.

I've a few dilemmas which I will ask for your opinions.

Firstly I don't intend to source/ use a chainstay mounted gear mech so shall I have the lug removed when I have it resprayed (keep it as it was built or tidy it up?)

Pictures:

P1070796.jpg

P1070797.jpg

P1070799.jpg

P1070800.jpg

P1070801.jpg

P1070802.jpg

P1070803.jpg

P1070806.jpg

P1070807.jpg

Those bars are beautiful!

If I had some Benelux gear I'd probably keep the lug. Probably those are really difficult to come by. If that's the case and if I wanted to use the bike I would probably remove the lug.

Nice bicycle! :cool:

Keep the lug - its part of what it is and if you ever wanted to sell it, it will be complete.

If you are respraying it, it will be a nice frame and putting another lug back on will require another respray. Can always paint it black to mask it a bit visually I guess?

Looks very nice and those bars are great.

Yeah I think you're right, the lug stays :)

I'm having it professionally resprayed and new decals fitted. Not sure on colour, original pillar box red or something like cherry red, brg perhaps, lugs will be lined and dents in the top tube filled.

Components will be 60's ish running a 10 speed Campag gearset.

Not sure about the wheels (my other dilemma).
It currently has Airlite hubs (fixed/ geared) on Rigida chrome rims (32, 40) but I don't really want steel rims and those hubs would be great for my other Gillot. I have some Maillard large flange on Weinmann alloy rims which would go really well. If not I have a pair of large flange Milremo hubs (32, 40) also fixed/ geared which would match but again I need to source some suitable rims.

Reading that over I guess that the Maillard on Weinmanns maybe the best option but my concern is that they will be a blemish on an otherwise quality build. But they're quite nice and will polish up lovely so not much of a blemish I suppose.

My first decision is deciding the colour so I can order the decals and get it sent off....

Some Bluemels or paintable metal mudguards will probably find their way on there too to fill in the void and complete the leisurely ride look.

Interesting machine. However, I don't think the rear mech would have been a 'Benelux' as this refers to the rear end mounted mechs. I reckon it could have been one of these -

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/standardcyclo.html

Great if you can find one that works!

EDIT - looking again, the 'hanger' you've got looks to short. Hmm, more investigation required!

The 'bars could be from Dawes, they produced some beautifully engraved ones in the 50's and early 60's. The model name that springs to mind is 'Concorde'? However, my memory does play tricks occasionally but I'm sure that they advertised them in the magazines of the day. I'll have a look some time.

Thanks Ned. Yup still need to do some more research myself.
I found this picture which looks to be a similar fitting

OpRDtwo.jpg

I am in contact with the original owner who informed me it was a Benelux gear, he also ran it with a rod change front mech bitd!

Back