80's road bike re-built with pics Finished.

DAVE O

Devout Dirtbag
Gents n Ladies,

I've decided to sell my road bike circa late 1980's. Having never sold a bike on ebay before (or on here) which is the best way forward? I don't want to give it away but do realise that it's getting on a bit :( So do I break it down and sell as bits or put it on fleabay with a reserve? What kind of reserve do you think?? It's been stored in the loft for the last 10yrs and now I've got back into Mountain Biking, being realistic, I'm not going to use it again so might as well put the proceeds of sale into a new MB

Brief spec -

Rick Powell Columbus SLX (South Yorkshire builder retired!) Campagnolo dropouts Cinelli B/B shell and aero fork crown. Tange Headset

Campagnolo C Record Delta - Brakes / Chainset / Rear Mech / Syncro Levers / Seatpost
Campagnolo Victory front mech and hubs
Look pedals
Mavic MA40 rims DB stainless spokes. 6 speed block
Selle Italia saddle
Shimano 600ax aero H/B stem
Cinelli bars
Dia comp aero levers

All the components are in excellent cond bar a few minor marks - crank arms and rear mech
Frame is in good cond but the paint is chipped in places and could do with re-finishing...

Couple of photos

DSC01247.jpg

DSC01245.jpg

Any thoughts ideas greatfully received ;)

Thanks
Dave O

PS - not a sales pitch genuinely after some guidance....

You have to strip it, polish everything up and sell each part separately on ebay. There is a small fortune to be made in those classic Campag parts alone never mind the frame itself which will fetch a very tidy sum.

To get an idea of current market prices - click on this search and enter the part name to search (ie Delta brake):

http://search-completed.ebay.co.uk/...&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=2&fgtp=

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Max P

Thanks for the search link - I was surprised at what a good set of delta's fetch :)
I think I'm going to keep the brakes now as a reminder of all the paper rounds I did saving up for them!

Going to stick the rest on fleabay with a reserve and see how it goes...

Ta
Dave O.

Yep, all of this sort of thing is very sought after. Campag don't make 'em like that anymore.

The frame is lovely - stick the word 'track' and 'fixed' in the auction - any classic frame capable of runnng fixed (ie 'old' horizontal drop outs) is highly desirable at the moment.

how long are the cranks? judging by the frame size...175, maybe 180? if they're less, let me know...i've always fancied a set!

My, that's a big un!

I might be interested in the whole thing if you'd like to PM me to discuss

Cheers

Ed

bad as it may seem you will get more broken for parts
the deltas are fetching £100 + easy, more if you ship world wide
make sure you mention rick powell in the frame description as you are aware he's quite a respected framebuilder with the carlton connection and all that
could be corrected but think he works for dave marsh at universal cycle centre at maltby(another ex carlton bod)
its a shame but i think as a complete bike you would be looking ai £150-200
wheras i reckon on £130-150 for the brakes,£100 + for the frame + forks and another £75 ish for the rest of the running gear
cheers
tony

All,

Thanks for your ideas and advice :D. I've decided I'm going to keep the brakes. I've cleaned them up and they are like new :cool: I've not had chance to do anything else with the rest at the moment with work and kids but will have another look at the weekend.

Tony,
I found the original receipt for the frame dated 28/11/1987 cost of £265 signed by Rick. Seemed alot of money at the time - remember my parents buying the frame for me.... My father is still in contact with Rick who I believe is retired now.

Ah them's were the days - just 5 stone heavier now...Lol

Dave O.

Back