my new 'fix'-ation

gump":4rtjesjz said:
I keep thinkng the Cotic roadrat looks pretty cool.
But then stop short thinking that an old steel frame/forks with 700c wheels and Onza HOs would be just as good and much cheaper :?

You are definitely right there - I fell for all the good words about the Roadrat and got one through the Cycle2Work scheme. Never rode it and sold it on at a huge loss.

Nothing wrong with it but (in my opinion) it's something new trying to look old and also trying to be all things to all people (disc and v mounts, it's either/or as far as i'm concerned). They look great in pictures and ok in real life but when I actually had one something just said "no" (for me, I hasten to add).

An old cyclocross frame will do the same (minus the rack and guard mounts although an old school tourer would do the job), look neater while it's doing it and be cheaper and more thief proof to boot. Plus there will be no-one else with the same.

Spot on Andy, whilst I love the Plug, it really has inspired me to see how cheaply I can build up something similar.

Max, the Plug is also the cheapest isn't it? Apart from the Fuji, which really is a track bike.. no brakes? Although the Kona looks nice too.

The Plug just looks great, I like the cable clips rather than braze on guides. The matching saddle and bar-tape, Mmmmm

Plenty of cheap road bikes on the bay at the mo...

None of these are proper track bikes, the angles are far more road like (posted a load on this in the topic linked above) - the Pista is probably the tightest of all but nothing compared to a proper Keirin bike...

The Fuji is drilled for brakes so £10 fixes that too - you only need the front. Even my offroad Chameleon is fixed now with just one brake.

Once you have ridden fixed SS on the road you would never want a freewheel - I test rode a Paddy in London the other day on FW and it felt so unconnected - fixed is the way to go.

You can get a NOS 2007 Fuji for £275 on ebay right now.

Problem with building one up with an old frame is that everyone and his dog is chasing anything reasonable with track ends on ebay at the mo, especially in 531, paint an old frame bung on half decent wheels and transmission and you may as well buy an off the peg.

The messenger/fixed/single speed is very 'en vouge'at present. Given a few months folks who have brought their Roadrat, Swobo, plug and simular fashionable steeds will be flogging them of on the bay in the next few month to fund the next big trend. As mentioned, you can buy the real Mc coy or less $$ and have a more authentic ride.

Fixed wheel was something nearly all roadies used to winter train on...
It is a great way to learn how to spin a proper cadence.

Plenty of people still ride hill climb time trials on them. Some people even ride normal road time trials on them. Even tour de france prologues!

Fixed may well go out of fashion, but it will never go away. I've been riding fixed since 1993...

The fixed bike I have for going down the shops is one of my favourite bikes.

Personally, I look forward to the day it goes out of fashion - and I will have my paypal account primed!

Max P":1fylpxm0 said:
None of these are proper track bikes, the angles are far more road like (posted a load on this in the topic linked above) - the Pista is probably the tightest of all but nothing compared to a proper Keirin bike...

for what it's worth, i would argue that unless you're planning to use it regularly at a velodrome, you'll be far happier with road geometry on your fixed. to each his own however...ride an example of each before you decide. either way, regular time on it will dramatically improve both your power and your form...guaranteed. and please, use a brake!

my primary XC bike has been an SS for a couple years now and i rode a fixed as a winter trainer back in my racing days, so i'm definitely a subscriber to the one gear experience. when i got the bug to add to my stable this summer, a fixie was the obvious choice. mine is a jamis sputnik, bought as a frame and built with much nicer bits than jamis specs. it has brakes, drop bars, and no spoke cards...decidedly not an urban hipster's sled. i've logged ~1000 miles on it in 4mos and love it to death! search the road section of these forums and you'll find it. heartily recommended!

Totally agree Dookie.

I found that link - nice bike. Where did you get the Sputnik, any links? Wondering if these can be found in the UK?

Back