1936 Wards hawthorne Silver King project.

Well it looks like I lucked out again. I found a chainguard that fits very nicely. I got it at a garage sale for 10 bucks so I figured if it wouldn't work I would just sell it. Turns out the length is spot on. The hole in the rear matches perfectly to the bolt on the frame that holds the chainstay to the seatstay. I drilled a small hole and attached a catilever brake boss. I then used a 1 inch hinged bmx seatpost clamp to hold the guard on. Test fitting was perfect and solid. I tried to paint it with Duplicolor chrome finish and although I sanded and primed I was not pleased with the results so I am going to have it chromed.
IMG_5270.jpg

IMG_5268.jpg

IMG_5273.jpg

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5228.jpg

IMG_5224.jpg

Good plans

Good innovation on the repurposing of a seatclamp as a chainguard braket - Actually looks cool, good engineering hackery sir!

Agreed that the guard needs to be chromed, either that or keep looking for an alu one to mirror polish

But I like the outline shape of you 10 dollar discovery - leaning forward into a non existent wind doing 100 MPH while standing still

I'd be tempted to reshape it a little so the cut out for the cranks matched the radius of the chainring or maybe lose everything beneath that pressed 'waist' line (for want of a better term) except at the front? Ithink it looks a bit bulky as is...

Re: Like this maybe?

hydorah":3pm3njns said:
Maybe like this?

IMG_5270_ed.jpg

I'm sure you must be dazzled by my image editting mastery :)
I put it on and decided I did not like it at all. I am glad I didn't drop $100 bucks having it chromed. I will try to find an original. All told I have spent $700 on this bike.
IMG_5018.jpg

IMG_5019.jpg

Back