Ghetto tubeless question

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm thinking of going tubeless using the ghetto method (cut open smaller inner tube, wrap round wheel, soap and water, normal tyre, Stan's sealant inside).... question is:

Could I get away with a large track pump to get the instant air pressure or is only a compressor any good?

Track pumps make it bloomin hard work! The best and fastest way i've found is with a Co2 inflator, you can get them off the net for about £15 for 20, work every time. Pop the tyre on dry with one to lock the bead in, them deflate, add sealent and reinflate with a track pump. Or just use the nearest garage's air compressor!

don't mind hard work - just wondering if it's doable - was just trying to keep cost down :oops: (and don't really fancy trek to garage).

You might be able to do it with a track pump, some folks have managed it.

I did manage to get my proper tubeless tyres fitted with a track pump and no soapy water!

From what I can tell with ghetto it's all about the soapy bubbles helping lubricate it all and getting air in fast

No harm in trying with a track pump

when were you thinking of trying it out ed, as i have a CO2 pump you could borrow (i know you still have my shock pump lol)

i tried it with my track pump with 0 success so had to invest in the CO2 pump.

would of thought you could get some CO2 carts in derby somewhere.

I have done it with a track pump .

use :

a lot of washing up liquid ( a thick one , like fairy liquid )
wheels off the ground
the air was escaping where the valve is , I pressed gently the tyre to stop the air leaking and it inflated fine .

once it is in place it wont move .
last week , my rear tyre got damaged on a rock and the latex could not seal it , but I managed to ride home with the tyre nearly flat and it did not come off the rim .

I didn't stand a chance with my components and a track pump, even the forecourt air compressor didn't help (my valve choice needed the core in to accept the adaptor for the car valve - to much flow restriction :-() Co2 all the way :cool: but not once the sealant is in ;-)

I posted my full method on the airborne thread - it's dead easy and it was my first go with tubeless :cool:

WD :D

Edited to add the info :

WD Pro":a8guw238 said:
Well I have now been playing with latex and rubber ;-)

These are the crossmax’s of GT-Steve, I give them a bit of a clean up and am really happy with them :cool:

I wouldn’t mind replacing a few of the decals so if anyone has any, knows where to get them or knows someone that can get them – a pm would be greatly appreciated ;-) :cool:

DSC05907.jpg

DSC05920.jpg

I think the adjustment collar is Ti ? :

DSC05936.jpg

This had some surface rust on it but it cleaned off with a spray of GT85 and a light scrub with a toothbrush so I suspect it might have been transfer from the cassette ? – I don’t know what material it is ? :

DSC05906.jpg

I cleaned the ceramic up with one of those rim cleaning blocks, I thought they were only for ally rims but Mavic say they are good for the ceramic to. I was surprised how much crap was baked / burnt onto the surface and they came up well :

DSC05917.jpg

DSC05924.jpg

Spoke count / lacing patterns:

DSC05925.jpg

The geeky alignment shot :oops: :LOL: :

DSC05930.jpg

The tyres went on really well with the Stan’s sealant, after I had learnt a few tricks ;-) I am well impressed with the kit :cool:

I did a lot of reading on the Stan’s forum and the net before I started. I tried the compressor method (which was a small garage forecourt one) and it was crap, didn't suit the Mavic valves - I would have been better off having a curry and farting on it :? The Mavic valves will only accept a Schrader valve when the valve core is in and the valve core restricts the flow enough not to allow the beads to seat :?

So a rethink over night resulted in a method that involved no sweat and was all done (cleanly !) in the kitchen and watching telly :cool:

I have never tried these tyres or rims before but the combination has a really tight bead (60psi on a soapy rim to seat it - BANG !!). Tyres were new if that made a difference ?

I don't know if a bead / rim that grips like this is good for tubeless but I guess so ?

My method was :

Fit the tyre and an standard tube.
Soap up the rim and tyre bead (align the logo’s :oops:)
Inflate with a track pump to seat the beads.
Deflate.
Unseat one bead and remove the tube (don't unseat second bead but with how hard / tight mine fitted this wasn't a problem :shock:).
Fit the UST valve with no core.
Refit tyre.
Re-soap the rim bead.
Dump a full Co2 cartridge in the tyre to seat the bead. The Co2 pump slid onto the smooth part of the valve stem and sealed well, it even held itself on with 60 psi trying to push it off ?
Let the tyre deflate. This took about five mins with the leakage from the bead / rim joint.
Let the tyre temp get back to normal.
Inject the Stan’s (I used 2oz) though the valve.
Refit the valve core.
Inflate with track pump, I used 60 psi (Note : my tyres are good for 80 psi so be careful !)
I then followed the Stan’s method for sealing.

They got a lot of shaking / turning yesterday and then left from 5 to 11 last night whilst we were out (dads 70th) and they were both still inflated but had defo dropped some pressure, I gave them a good shake, left them for a while, inflated to 60psi, shook them again and then left them on their side on mugs overnight - This morning both were still rock solid :cool:

I have to say I am quite impressed so far with the gear and the setup etc :cool:

Do a search on the Stans forum for your wheel and tyre choice - might give you a few pointers - some tyres are not recommended (weak beads) and others are known for taking a little longer to seal the beads (kenda's) as the beads are ribbed :D

Good luck :D

Hi,

I just read you technique to inflate the UST, I basicaly do the same, except that after deflating the tube, i unclip one side, install the UST valve, add the Stan our what ever sealant, then!

manually i could clamp the tire about 1/2 of the circonference in the bead, (it's not really clip but it's enough seal to use a floor pump. Pumping fast about 5 to 10 shot is enought for the tire to sit in it's bead. then inflate to about 40 psi our until the side full clip in place. Now you just need to shake the wheel a bit so the sealant is everywhere and seal the tire, ajust the presure to what even you want and ride!

It's a bit harder, but you save money on CO2 cartridge.

How do you desasemble the mavic UST valve? It may be help full to know this trick.

Back