Gazelle Champion Mondial

Wow, what a great thread!
As a Dutchman I love these Gazelle's, and will restroe one myself some day.

This I could put on the wall in 50"x50", it is just modern art :cool:

Freewheel07.jpg

Good luck with the project.

removed all the rust and touched up all the spots with paint as close as possible to the original color. After it dried did some polishing to make it even.

Before:
frame05.jpg

You can't see all but here's some of those spots marked:
frame05_-1.jpg

After the rust removed, painted and polished it is now like this:
Frame023.jpg

From a distance it looks OK. It will take at least another layer of paint and polishing.

Still following this thread.

Great job you're doing with that.

Lots of effort, but its looking really good.

It shows that you are putting in lots of thought to this and it really looks to be paying off for you.

So your Gazelle came originally from a rijwielhuis in Zaandam :)

Looks very tidy what you have done. Good result!

How did you treat?

Elev12k":hwor653t said:
So your Gazelle came originally from a rijwielhuis in Zaandam :)

That's the store that sold it originally right? That's what I though when I saw the decal. It's a little faded but I'm keeping it.

Elev12k":hwor653t said:
Looks very tidy what you have done. Good result!

How did you treat?

Got two different yellows, an ocre and some white to get the right shade of yellow. You guys won't believe me but the color in the main triangle is slightly different from the stays and fork.

Remove the rust with 1000 sand paper, paint, level with 4000, 6000 and 8000 sandpaper, paint again, level and paint one last time. I'll probably use some paint auto polish paste in the end.

Sounds like you went for a thorough procedure :p

Words like 'rijwielhuis' or 'fietsenwinkel' are Dutch for bike shop. I did a search on the web and it looks like that particular shop or any bike shop on that address is no longer existend. Wise people say you have to quit when you have peaked ...and for the shop that was of course after they had sold your bike.

Back