"cafe-racer"---kona custom build finished.

sinnerman

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
BoTY Winner
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
This came up a long time ago on evilbay.

It was a pretty hammered tatty example, came with chuckaway lx wheels, worn out freehub, worn out rims, mix of XT and XTR drivetrain, Raceface bits all scratched and abused, bso type seat, no grips, and a pair of abused filing cabinet grey "Fox" forks, rusty cables, shagged out chain etc etc etc.

but it was stupid cheap, and 20 minutes drive away....so i had a cheeky bid.

I have been thinking it needs to be a hardwearing bike that will take sum abuse.....it will probably get used mostly for street riding..., flights of steps, drop offs, occasional jumps, but im thinking a bike i can do everything on, mess around, in the woods, as well as cross country haul too........

bitd, spent a lot of late evenings riding with the boys, messing about street riding/racing when it was too dark for the woods, ...............so im thinking.... "cafe racer"/"street racer".......... :roll:

UPDATE.......

FRAME.
I decided to powdercoat the frame, as its a little more hardwearing, and very lowcost. The decals are exact reproductions of the originals, although in custom colours, and they have been laminated, to reduce wear, as i wont be lacquering the frame. (didnt see the point, if i come off the bike, and damage the paint etc, for £30 it can be done again.)

FORK.
The fork that came with the bike, was in very good condition, although as dull and dreary as the frame, and dated looking in filing cabinet grey.

The forks have been stripped completely, and refinished in the same colour as the frame, including the crown.
Custom decals made, and identical to the original factory decals,(laminated). (although custom colours used to match the frame decals.)
The entire fork recieved a full upgrade service, new seals oil etc, to the same internal spec as the current replacement model fork)

The forks were not sand blasted, before being painted, as any residue left in the fork upon re-assembly, could damage the new replacement seals etc. They have been rubbed down by hand, and then refinished.

SPEC.
The spec of the bike when i bought it was really very good, however a lot of cleaning and some painting has been required.

Items that were needed for replacement, were wheels, grips, saddle, seat collar, tyres, seatpost, pedals, cables.

FULL BUILD SPEC:-

Kona Explosif frame.....refinished in storm trooper white.
( custom decals---Galaxy brown and Obession blue. )
Made with True Temper OX Platinum...( true tempers answer to reynolds 853, in terms of strength to weight ratio....and....Air.hardened) Approx weight/this size 3lbs 15oz

Fox Talas RLC suspension fork.....refinished in storm trooper white.
(matching custom decals.)
Adjustable travel from 80 to 125mm. with lockout. Approx weight 3.9lbs.

Wheelset.....Spinergy XYCLONE race---- a low maintenance wheelset, light and incredibly strong, with thicker gauge PBO spokes...finished in white. (specs...front weel radial built, 24 spoke. Rear wheel 2 cross 24 spoke, Hubs custom cnc machined, with aerospace grade aluminium axles. weight 1520g)

Tyres-----Halo Choirmaster R- series 2.35 Amberwall,

Brakes----Shimano XTR---v brakes.
R/mech----Shimano XTR
F/mech----Shimano XT
Shifters---Shimano XT

Chainset----Raceface---Prodigy XC
Stem----Raceface----Prodigy
Bars----Raceface---Evolve XC lowrise.
Seat post-----Raceface---Evolve d/h.

Seat-----WTB/Kona----galaxy brown leather.
Grips----Odi----lockon.

Headset-----WTB momentum---cartridge.
Seat collar---Salsa....non Q/R
Pedals.....Shimano "budget" clipless.....White.

Finishing touches.....Colour matched.....Charge Chipper, chainstay protector.-------Cable sleeves----colour matched, in coffee.

Attachments

• 166_175.jpg
    166_175.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 4,311
  • 171_145.jpg
    171_145.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 4,311

Attachments

• custom cafe racer.jpg
    custom cafe racer.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 4,309
  • FOX.jpg
    FOX.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 4,309
  • custom graphics.jpg
    custom graphics.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 4,309
  • galaxy brown.jpg
    galaxy brown.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 4,310

Attachments

• Race Face.jpg
    Race Face.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 4,304
  • Halo.jpg
    Halo.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 4,304
  • too much coffee.jpg
    too much coffee.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 4,302
  • WTB.jpg
    WTB.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 4,304

Attachments

• finishing the build.jpg
    finishing the build.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 4,300
  • Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 4,300
cool colour scheme, i wish my spinergy's had white spokes, mine are yellow and they struggle to match any of my paint jobs.

liking the halo tyres aswel

:cool:

This once again a lovely kona build by you :cool: :cool: :cool:

You are the master ;)

looks great but a little too much colour coding for my liking.

looks a quality job though.

ride well?

lewis1641":2n53mp54 said:
looks great but a little too much colour coding for my liking.

looks a quality job though.

ride well?

You old fart you :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back