beagle":3m56p5u8 said:
If you want to be super fancy, try one of these:

http://www.danscomp.com/301038.php

What was that? All I get is this.

We're sorry,
The item you searched could not be found. Please insure that you typed the
item number or word in correctly. After making sure there was no mistake
made with the item number or word, the item is not currently available on
our web site and you should call 1-888-888-3267 to order.

Weird, it worked when I posted it.

It was a $100 integrated headset with ceramic bearings and Ti gubbins.

Possibly bit late to help out here, but I've found the information on the Park Tools website to be the easiest to use when identifying the correct type of headset, be it standard, semi-integrated, zero stack, integrated etc...

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -standards

Also includes dimensions, photographs and cutaways to ensure the parts go on in the correct order.

integrated are the smae as semi integrated i reAD??

and integral sits within the frame rather than within cups?

No - with an intergraded headset the bearings sits in the headtube (no cups) - like the FSA shown in the previous posts.

A semi intergrated headset has cups (which is sounds like you have) which fit in the headtube (like the campag one on the park site):
IMG_0068.jpg

I have a Cane Creek semi-intergrated headset (currently FS on ebay) which has these parts, reading from top left to bottom right:

seal
top bearing cover
top cap and bolt
seal
crown race
lower bearing
lower cup
top cup
top bearing and wedge

they should be in this order from stem to fork:

top cap and bolt
top bearing cover
seal
top bearing and wedge
top cup

lowercup
lower bearing
seal
crown race

i think the fsa one is meant to have the cups

but like i said, i thought semi and integrated were the same and integral was in the frame?

It can be very confusing due to different manufacturers using different names and terminology to describe different types.
In my mind at most headsets will fall into one of three main categories:

Standard: Where the cups and bearing races are pressed into the frame but remain outside the headtube. Just like a the normal headsets we're all used to. These can be threaded or non threaded and come in a few sizes, commonly 1", 1 1/8" and 1 1/4". they can also have loose ball bearings or cartridge style ones.

Semi integrated: aka Zero Stack, Low Profile, Integrated cups, Internal.
These have the cups and bearing races pressed into the frame, but sit inside the head tube. Again a few sizes available and various bearing types. No threaded semi integrated headsets though.

Integrated: aka Angular Contact
These have no cups or bearing races to press into the frame. Instead the inside of the headtube is machined to accept a cartridge bearing directly. This will normally just drop into the frame. Poorly adjusted Integrated headsets can damage the frame though. You can't just replace the cups because there aren't any to replace.

:cool:
that makes more sense than what im saying
i dont think integrated headsets are all the common

but yes, they need to stick to one name!

Integrated headsets are more common on road bikes than mountain bikes.

Semi integrated headsets are now very common on new MTBs though.

cyfa2809":203soc67 said:
i think the fsa one is meant to have the cups

No, that FSA one is a Campagnolo spec 45/45 degree integrated headset that goes straight into the head tube. Like drystonepaul says, they are very common on road bikes and are used on nearly all modern BMX frames (most good ones anyway).

It's all a bit confusing, there's no need to have so many standards.

Back