Top Pull / Low Clamp ? Mech Pictures

WD Pro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hopefully my thread title / description is correct … :oops:

Let me explain what I am trying to find out :

My front mech is a traditional looking affair that has a high mounted band. It can be pulled from either top or bottom :

DSC04764.jpg

My frame is set up to pull from the top. Looking from the back of the bike, the top cable stop is angled towards the non drive side of the bb shell (can just about be made out on here – best pic I have sorry :-() :

DSC05390.jpg

My current front mech cable routing when set up for top pull has the cable entering towards the drive side of the bb shell i.e. it pulls the cable back at an angle from it leaving the frame boss / cable stop – this looks ‘wrong’ :?

I was thinking that the frame must have been designed around a low clamping front mech and these must have the cable entering from the non drive side ?

Has anyone got any pictures that show a low band mech set up for top pull ? If it makes a difference to how the cable is routed / mounted, I am looking at a mech to match the age of my group set – M970 :D

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

WD :D

I'm having the same issue myself.

Had a bottom pull low band Nexave mech, needed a top pull.

Have an STX top pull high band, wrong band size.

Bought a Nexave top pull low band.
The cable enters at the wrong angle, the stops on the frame want the cable to the drive side.
Mine works but runs over the lever and snags my mudguard.

So I'm looking for a Nexave top pull high band 28mm mech. Or some DIY bodging swapping levers/bands if possible.

Pics:

Bottom mech: Nexave low band top pull, cable enters wrong side.
Top mech: STX high band top pull, cable would enter correctly.

DSC00002%20(2).jpg

Left mech: STX low band top pull, cable would enter wrong.
Right mech: Nexave low band bottom pull, cable on right side pull wrong direction.

DSC00004%20(2).JPG

A low band top pull = cable non drive side.
A high band top pull = cable drive side.
A low band bottom pull = cable non drive side.
A high band bottom pull = cable drive side????

Can't beleive you don't know the origianl mechs setup...

none drive side, look at the lever and so the new fangled mechs follow the same pattern

images

FluffyChicken":bc1o56xe said:

Can't beleive you don't know the origianl mechs setup...

none drive side, look at the lever and so the new fangled mechs follow the same pattern

images

Yeah, that figures, bottom pulls will always be none drive side cable to get the leverage, true? I dodn't have one at hand to look at.

Whilst fitting the bottom bracket tonight I found I had the info needed all along ... :oops:

Looking through my instruction file I found the front mech instructions and they show both types and both cable configurations shown from the rear - it confirmed I have the wrong type :-(

For M970 (low clamp) :

Cable from bottom = drive side
Cable from top = non drive side

For M971 (high clamp) :

Cable from bottom = non drive side
Cable from top = drive side

So, has anyone got a new M970 they want to swap for a new M971 ? :?

WD :D

Back