The 2011 Time Trial Season

Good effort in what sounds like horrible conditions. At least you didn't DNS just because of a bit of wind, rain and cold.... Rule 5 has been obeyed. I like the contrast between the super stealth Carlton bike and your flouro top!

Of course you would have dipped under 30 mins if you'd removed that superflous bottle cage ;) .

Mark.

daccordimark":3vezd2hw said:
Good effort in what sounds like horrible conditions. At least you didn't DNS just because of a bit of wind, rain and cold.... Rule 5 has been obeyed. I like the contrast between the super stealth Carlton bike and your flouro top!

Of course you would have dipped under 30 mins if you'd removed that superflous bottle cage ;) .

Mark.

Damn, you're right! I forgot all about that :roll: ;)

2 weeks until my first effort of the season in the Doncaster Wheelers 10, I wont be as retro with my 1990s Steve Goff lo-pro, its early yet so no big hopes for a fast time here

daccordimark":1ofhad4x said:

Mark.

Thanks for the comments Mark - and sorry it's taken so long to reply! I forgot to fit my flashing rear light (which seems to be the recommended thing in TT's these days) but the jersey possibly made up for it!

As for the bottle cage, I've got to have some excuse (sorry, reason!) for going slow ;)

19th position for me out of 26 finishers last Saturday in a local club event, clocked just under 34 minutes for an undulating 11.5 miles. Not bad really considering my proper road bike is out of action and I had to use my CX machine with a set of road wheels fitted. No tri-bars either!

David

David B":2jomk68d said:
19th position for me out of 26 finishers last Saturday in a local club event, clocked just under 34 minutes for an undulating 11.5 miles. Not bad really considering my proper road bike is out of action and I had to use my CX machine with a set of road wheels fitted. No tri-bars either!

David

That's OK for early season. Equates to just inside 30mins for a '10' I reckon.

Tribars - what are they then? ;)

Old Ned":29lsr93i said:
David B":29lsr93i said:

David

That's OK for early season. Equates to just inside 30mins for a '10' I reckon.

Average speed was 20 and a bit mph so yes, just a fraction inside "evens". For comparison, my PB (clocked on a flattish but not overly fast course in West Sussex) is a shade under 25mins 40sec; hoping to lower that a little this summer though!

David

I'm riding the Ravensthorpe CC 10 at Fairburn on Saturday in the 72" gear section. First rider 1.00pm, I'm no 2!

Old Ned":2imegp2l said:
I'm riding the Ravensthorpe CC 10 at Fairburn on Saturday in the 72" gear section. First rider 1.00pm, I'm no 2!

Don't forget to take that bottle cage off this time! You could also use the Kurt-Asle Arvesen weight-saving tactic of taking off your saddle and claim "it just fell off". Might be tough without a saddle on fixed though.

Out of interest do the MG sections/events tend to be ridden by Old Skoolers or do the carbon boys get in on the act too?

Mark.

daccordimark":15opqbqy said:
Old Ned":15opqbqy said:

Don't forget to take that bottle cage off this time! You could also use the Kurt-Asle Arvesen weight-saving tactic of taking off your saddle and claim "it just fell off". Might be tough without a saddle on fixed though.

Out of interest do the MG sections/events tend to be ridden by Old Skoolers or do the carbon boys get in on the act too?

Mark.

Oh yes, I think I'm one of the very few 'OS'ing' it. However, this weekend I might ride 72" free not fixed. When Tony Doyle did his amazing '56' on 72" he used a freewheel (just screwed his gear down) as he reckoned when pedalling really fast on fixed (especially downhill) you can actually slow yourself down with the slight back pressure on the pedals. Also, you can go into corners/roundabouts faster and freewheel on the apex making up time. Well, that's the theory anyway so I reckon I'll dig out the Dave Russell and try it!

It'll still have a bottle cage on it though :roll:

Back