Kestrel MXZ

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
New paint & decals, New 1990s BLACK XT groupset & new tange switchblade forks.

Attachments

• Publication1.jpg
    Publication1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 5,653
  • Publication2.jpg
    Publication2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 5,653
  • Publication2.jpg
    Publication2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 5,573
now thats properly retro :) I used to lust after the grey 1 in the old freewheel magazine. all NOS parts as well, top work ;)

Super clean build, looks the money.

Are Kestrel still going?

Where was the NOS XT gruppo from? Or was that some hard searching?

She used to be grey but the guy I bought it from used this bike well, so most of the paintwork was gone and down to the carbon, plus it had gouges on the down tube from chainset spin when on a multiple bike rack so it needed an overhaul, the decals were from kestrel who sadly, do not have any left :( , it appears that whoever stock checked them figured it would be better to GIVE them to a cycle shop (dunce).
The Black XT groupset came mainly from eBay.com, there is still a lot of NOS stuff over there including short rear mechs for only $42 (about £23) +p&p.......bargain.
Ohhhh she rides sweet, nice and tight in the back end and very responsive up front :twisted: .
Cheers for all the remarks guys and if I am allowed any more bikes with this years bonus, Ill post some pics. :LOL:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
scant":d26y05fh said:
now thats properly retro :) I used to lust after the grey 1 in the old freewheel magazine. all NOS parts as well, top work ;)

You mean like this one ?

Attachments

• mxzad.JPG
    mxzad.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 5,599
Hey, beautiful MXZ! I've got the same frame hanging in my basement (not nearly as nice, though - original black but numerous scuffs, etc.). I'm hoping you or the others here can help me out with a couple questions, as I am building it up to ride again.

1. how does the cable routing work for the front der.? Mine is a braze-on, and looks like yours is too. What does the cable ride on under the bottom bracket, though? Mine doesn't have any sort of cable guide underneath, and no hole to bolt one on. How is yours set up under the bottom bracket?

2. what sort of posts do you have for the rear brake? Mine originally came with some weird flanged brake post that went over the holes (didn't actually go in the frame holes, but the flange rested on the frame), then the brakes went on them and a long bolt was used to go all the way through and bolt the whole thing into the frame via the threaded hole. Is yours the same? If so, can I get some of those pieces anywhere? If not, can more recent brake bosses be bolted in?

I'm hoping you can help out with these questions, I really want to get this baby up and running again. I've got a Syncros fork and stem for it, but otherwise will likely use 8 spd newer components.

One other question - does anyone know an actual or approximate weight on these frames?

Thanks for any help, please email me directly at ljklassen(at)mts(dot)net if you don't mind (replace the words in parentheses with symbols, of course).

MXZ Q's & A's

Hey, beautiful MXZ! blah blah blah

Thank you for the kind words, Hope to see yours here soon

Q1 ➡️ When I bought this bike I had the same problem, there was no routing system and no way to mount one the previous owner had muddled together a dodgy system but since there was a cable stop near the B/B area I knew there had to be another way, My solution was ( once new paint had been applied ) to get a B/B shimano cable router = http://www.sjscycles.com/store/6499shimanosmsp17msmall.gif and squash it a little using a G-clamp until it was the right size for the B/B shell and then simply super-glue into place , Sure its not how they did it, but it works....
Q2 ➡️ The original way was to use the steel plate you describe with the long bolts, set up was a bit like the old onza HO cantis - usually trial & error . if you dont have the parts anymore your best bet is to manufacture some yourself by drilling a small hole in large enough (& thick enough) washer, best to ask a competent DIY'er with the correct tools, but if your sticking to cantilever brakes you can still pick some onza HO's cheapish, they will work without em.
Q3 ➡️ Never actually weighed the frame, I was to eager to build her up, Kestrel could'nt tell me anything about them either (too far back) .
Good Luck :D
By the way if you want decals try http://www.yellowjersey.org/ksdecal.html
get me a set while you are there ;)

And now I have 2 :D :D :D

b4609926.jpg

;)

Back