Holdsworth Professional - help gratefully received

simonhaslam

Retro Newbie
Just bought a Holdsworth Professional in team livery.

23 inches Holdsworth Professional with Campag dropouts chrome forks 1/2 rear triangle, no braze-ons the main triangle. White block Helvetica lettering with red edging (much worn). Frame number 37849. Reputed Holdsworth team bike from 1968-1971. Campag small flange hubs and Mavic Monthlery Pro rims with tubs (not on the bike at the moment), Campag headset, Dura Ace chainset, Shimano 600 gears, Colnago brakes (oh, yes!), Cinelli bars, 3TTT stem, Laprade SR seat post. Just bought it - and trying to learn more about its history.

The previous owner picked it up at a cycle jumble in 1981. Vendor at that time suggested this was Bob Addy's 1968 Tour bike - but that's very unlikely (Bob Addy's size was 23.5"). This bike looks to be a factory (rather than shop) Professional - thinner seat stay wraparound, riveted head badge, Campag allen key seat bolt.

Curious forks (Shimano drop-outs when the rear drop-outs are Campag) and the eclectic group-set might suggest a DIY build by some who bought this frame-only. I'm trying to get a better date on the frame - horizontal rear brake bridge suggests this wasn't based on the 1967/68 Mistral (curved bridge on these, I think). Full Campag equipped on team Professionals came in 1971 I believe, so might have team provenance if made before then.

Sorry about the pic. Will get some more sorted over the weekend.

trying to find as much as I can about it. Love to hear from anyone with a similar bike or knowledge of them. Thanks

Attachments

• Holdsworth Professional - reduced.jpg
    Holdsworth Professional - reduced.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 5,310
hi, if you want more info then i suggest you look on the nkilgariff website dedicated to holdsworth and claud butlers, your likely to find all you need to know from there..

http://www.nkilgariff.com/

if you post a better pic of the frame and conponents i maybe able to help also.

Thanks, I've had a look already but will go back to it. What's the frame number of your own Holdsworth Professional please - might help me get a date on my bike (which is 37849).

Cheers, Simon

I think a true team bike would have complete Campag Record or Super Record groupset not the odd mixture you have (especially Colnago brakes which are very nice but a competitor!). Bob Addy as you say rode a big frame, I'm surprised it was only 23.5".

Thanks, that's my suspicion too - even though Campag didn't become part of the racing set up (in terms of fully equipping the Holdsworth team bikes) until 1971 season. I'll get some time this weekend to remove the forks and see if they match the frame number.

Hi Simon, lovely bike, always wanted one but out of my price range. Any way, it may help but I've seen a factory professional go thru ebay years ago and its number was approx 33100 ( build at the lullington road factory ), and the year given was 1970. I have a mistral from approx 1974 and its serial number is 40611, I suspect somewhere inbetween maybe a good guess as far as your date is concerned.

That's very helpful, thanks. I was fortunate with this bike. There was a gorgeous orange and blue Holdsworth Professional frame for sale in the window of Bristow's bike shop in Peterborough, where I grew up. Thirty five years later I've managed to get one.

Ishiwata tubing on the forks, by the way, and Shimano drop-outs. No number of the forks and no other branding on the forks.

Re: Holdsworth Serial numbers

I have owned my Father's bike for the past twenty years. It is a 'Worthy' Holdsworth, bought second-hand in 1945. It's believed to have been built pre-war, and also believed to be from Accles and Pollock tubing, though we're not 100% sure on that. If that is so, it's likely to be a Typhoon from the mid to late 1930s as that was the only model in that tubing at that time.
It has pencil rear stays, surprisingly steep seat and head angles, round-section forks (same number on steerer as seat lug), simple lug work, and has been resprayed in the original maroon with white box lining as per the original, but without transfers, but done back in the 1950s. Chainset is Chater-Lea, bottom bracket is TDC, bars (originally North Road we think) are now Lauterwasser, saddle the original Brooks B17, and Bluemels white guards. Pedals are CL as well. Brakes are GB Hinduminium Coureur, but think they are a later anachronism! Headset is a Brampton with a clip, stem unknown and unbranded light steel chromed.
Serial number is 4913; yes, a 4-digit number on both steerer tube and seat lug; 4913. Can anyone date it from that number, and perhaps more of a challenge, come up with a model when new?

Will post pics shortly.

Thanks,

Chris

Back