the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

Dont know if this counts,it is an MTB frame though :?: :oops:

com17.jpg

I made 'swan neck' up on the spur of the moment so we'd better clear it up - what does 'LD' stand for? What years were these made and why did they die out? Who was behind the flat bar phenomenon or was it just down to cost (as would be usual with these things - thinks: Ahead)...

mrkawasaki":hjzgff88 said:
Oooh... isn't the interwebble amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL3Roz3IOH4

:cool:

I was going to add Groovy but was under the impression you were looking for the original makers.

Great video but if you email him, you may find he is too busy with other projects to make one for you. Same with SP. Not sure how to get ahold of CC or SN....

LD stands for Limp Dick which is their actual name...

A little offering from WTB.....

888Upgrades4.jpg

Nice to see the quality contributions to this thread so far.

My build is getting there, slowly.

Attachments

• Drop bar gold.jpg
    Drop bar gold.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 4,757
mrkawasaki":2lnppkdy said:
Would be interested to discover whether the drops craze crossed the pond back in the day - anyone got a legitimate photo of a period bike with drops in the UK (not JT racing here)??

one-eyed_jim":2lnppkdy said:
Graham John Wallace's Evans - pictured in 1984:

fw_evans1984_181.jpg

There was no American connection regarding the drops on this bike. I simply was used to riding a ten speed racing bike and so got Kingston Cycles to swap the straight bars for these extra wide and deep Cinelli 66s before I piked up the bike in the Spring of 1984.

mrkawasaki":2lnppkdy said:
Sweet! Love the double Ever Ready's... must add another 2lbs to the bike!

Make that 4lbs because there are two rear Ever Ready's mounted on the top of the rear rack.

I sold the bike around 1990 , but I've still got the Ever Ready's. How
sad is that
:oops:

BitD...I used to worry Geoff Apps by threatening to put drops on my Cleland
:twisted:

There was also a Highpath racing bike with drops built about 1986.

Back