raleigh banana

RooKilo":1hmcddzw said:
In the late 80's I went to Welwyn and watched a time trial stage of the Tour of Britain and Raleigh Banana were there, the bikes were 753 with C Record - I've still got the photos somewhere in the loft.

By 1990 or possibly 1989 Banana were on Dura-Ace but still 753 frames, if the cover of (I think) Chris Lillywhite on the cover of the ordinary (as opposed to the Lightweight brochure which just had the Raleigh badge on the cover) 1990 road bike brochure is anything to go by.

David

there was a classic review of the raleigh bananas in cycling plus last year
by hilary stone. not sure which month i may have a copy knocking around somewhere

Wahey! I won!! Eyes sharpened for a 18-23 Banana frame to complete the set now ...

Cheers,
Gareth.

garethrl":2u7ceo90 said:
Hi David,
Thanks for the heads-up - and also to the other forum member who pointed me at it! Happily ride a 23" frame and so will be keeping a close eye on this one.

The knock on the top tube is not ideal, but neither is it a dealbreaker. I wonder if I could get it rolled out by a builder? Probably not without messing up the paint and decals.

Cheers,
Gareth.

I was watching that one too but decided not to take anything else on at the moment. Will we see it in all it's Castorama glory later in the year?

Mark.

It will be a Fignon special eventually, once I've collected all the C-Record parts for the build. In the first place I have a 10-speed Chorus gruppo that I'll build it with, as I really want to ride this one!

I guess that the easiest way of collecting the components would be to buy a complete bike and sell on the frame later. Ho hum, more shopping ... :LOL:

So, turning the conversation back to the Team Banana model, what frame size does the smart money reckon this is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0555425841

The listing says 60cm and the seller seems to know what he's talking about, but at the same time I have the impression that the headtube is too short for a 60cm frame.

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers,
Gareth.
[/img]

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back