1992 Cannondale M500

HarryCrumb

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Now then, this frame was owned by benandemu in the mid 90s and was part exchanged for a Marin Ti between Ben and an old school friend of mine.

This weekend during a visit back to my roots in Derbyshire I met with this very school friend and asked if his dad was still riding the Cannondale to work. he said not and he had the bike in his shed, and then added take it if you want Iam not going to do anything with it :shock:

of course I took the bike and also the plated '94 Diamondback Axis which was also on offer for Karma

P2270727.jpg

Right to start the build I need to ID the frame and get the year right to ensure correct groupset choice

So far we have a serial number 51811911785

This indicates a November 1991 frame, and probably a 1992 model year.

Second we have a double bridge on the seat stays for the force 40 brake device, no welded in seat post clamp, and a 1" head tube.

from my catalogue research the seatpost clamp became a seperate unit in 1993

P2280755.jpg

P2270750.jpg

P2280756.jpg

The next piece of information is the colour of the frame. We have traces of metalic green which is either a trace of base coat for one of the dark greens available, or the primary colour.

P2280765.jpg

P2280763.jpg

P2270728.jpg

From memory that frames are identical (excl BotE) the number just refers to it's component level.
So if you go for a catalogue spec give it that number, if you're not give it any old M number.
Of course it could be BotE put wheels on it and a side shot and someone'll tell you.
Not sure if the lower ends had F40 bridges or not and no idea if they had modified the frame for a band on after a while in 1992.

Good luck and get the other one built first.

FluffyChicken":33yzshot said:
I just edited above while I wake up this morning.

I'm sure I've seen 1992 with band clamps on, ah yes I know where I've seen that.. our riding with me
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85763

Need to get him to check the serial number though.

(vintage'dale has all the cats but not sure they're all English)

Thanks for the info, it does look like the 1992 one pictured has a larger that 1" steerer though? I will have to ask.

Looking at the angle the the seat stays hit the seat tube I would say it prob isn't a Beast, I will check with the wheels on to be sure.

Stick Legs":18ub1ytx said:
FluffyChicken":18ub1ytx said:
From memory that frames are identical (excl BotE) the number just refers to it's component level.
So if you go for a catalogue spec give it that number, if you're not give it any old M number.

That's quite right, by the looks of it is is a 1993 Series 3.0 'Aloomin-um' frame. Check out specs here:
http://sanaandterry.com/cannondale/year/1993/1993.pdf

That was my thought but the serial number says it's a Nov 91 and it has a 1" headset, not the 1.25 which came on the 93s.

FluffyChicken":7vbs7gbn said:
Good luck and get the other one built first.

I assume you mean the Axis, it will be built at the same time, just need to decide the groups for both

I have full 93 black LX which would look good on the Cannondale I think.

Axis M737 or Suntour? we'll have to see.

My 92 M1000 has 1.25" steerer if that helps, cant check the serial no till the weekend though.

Back