lets see your khs's

I haven't got round to doing anything with this TiLite yet

main.php

The serial number is ahfm51 950/011. I haven't discovered yet what ahfm might mean, but I guess 950/011 means it was built in 1995. The only reference in BikePedia to titanium KHS bikes is the 1994 Ti Issue and Ti Team. But it could well be that they had a ti model for 1995 and called it TiLite - 95 was when they brought out the Alite and the name TiLite fits a similar pattern, so it may suggest that they came out at the same time.

A couple of people on the web suggested it was made by Litespeed, so I researched Litespeed and sure enough found that the top tube cable stops, the brake mounts and the canti bridge (see below) are all identical to Litespeed parts. Also the 6al 4v dropouts are identical to those on the 95 and later Litespeed Ocoee. As Litespeed made all their own fittings, I have no doubt that they built this frame.

main.php

It has a c-t seat tube length of 16", so you might think it was a size 16, but KHS only sold hardtails in odd-numbered sizes, so I think it's probably what they called a size 15. However it's actually pretty much the size of a Kona size 17 - c-c seat tube 14" (same), c-c top tube 552mm (4mm more), head tube 105mm (5mm less), chainstay 430mm (5mm more).

It weighs 3.1lbs, which is quite light even for a small ti frame. Low weight is also a characteristic of Litespeed. I wonder whether it might mean it has quite a lively ride, even a little flexy. For comparison, a size 17 Kona Hei Hei with those very similar dimensions weighs 3.5lbs, so the KHS must have significantly lighter-gauge tubes than the Hei Hei.

Most frames Litespeed made for other brands were to the basic Obed standard, but the use of the 6al 4v dropout shows that KHS were willing to spend more than the minimum. The TiLite is the only 'other brand' Litespeed I have seen with a luxury fitting like that.

Once I've done some craft work to conserve the decals, I guess I'll build it up with a Project 2 fork in the first instance, maybe a 96 Judy SL later.

First pic of my KHS Montana Pro - karma'd from Zigzag - sorry for the photo quality - I've had it for a year but only just started on it. It will be my fun bike for commuting, jumps and trails.

I'll probably draw up new decals for it but it will take time.
IMAG0219.jpg

Awesome Bike to ride...
Me warming up for a race in Cornwall in 1993 on my (IIRC) Montana Pro.

Attachments

• Cornwall KHS02.jpg
    Cornwall KHS02.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 3,375
Passed in front of me today was a youth on a KHS (not something I would expect around here)
Now it was a Montana then some scribble I didn't manage to read.

But it was Deep Blue and Red with white stars in between the changeover in the top/downtube ?

Any one know what it is or year? (standard diamond frame)

FluffyChicken":1zqrjq4k said:
Passed in front of me today was a youth on a KHS (not something I would expect around here)
Now it was a Montana then some scribble I didn't manage to read.

But it was Deep Blue and Red with white stars in between the changeover in the top/downtube ?

Any one know what it is or year? (standard diamond frame)

Perhaps a 1993 KHS Montana Crest?

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=82313

Back