Gt Ti Copys

Mattythemod

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just come across this item on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-new-GT-Titan ... dZViewItem
Now i was under the impression Xiaings were never made with disc mounts and also had a polished finish ??

Is this a copy or are GT planning to unleash this on the bike buying public .

Attachments

• GT.jpg
    GT.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 887
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
pretty sure it is a GT lightning which were all made in Tiawan . Same geometry but with unpolished finish.

colinr":18yh37w7 said:
pretty sure it is a GT lightning which were all made in Tiawan . Same geometry but with unpolished finish.

if i remember rightly that was the complete TI bike offering GT made somewhere around the late 90s

I had a Lightning from 1999 briefly recently, but no disc tab on it. Weighed in at 1700gms for a 22" (c-t) frame!!!

Here it is:

12b7_3.JPG

Definitely a Lightning frame. I saw one similar to it listed on craigslist in Tucson, AZ about six months back. The guy had taken it somewhere and had them add/weld on the disc brake mounts. The Lightning has GT 3AL/2.5V stamped under the GT logo on the top tube end cap and the end cap is also round instead of oval like the Xizang. Lightning's are bead blasted and Xizang's polished. Lightning's were produced and sold as complete bike with lower spec components in 97 and 98 when Ti was hot (pre-carbon) and was wanted badly by GT's Euro distributors that wanted Ti at a lower price point then USA built Xizangs. I've bought and sold at least eight Lightnings in the past year and shipped them all to Europe.

Attachments

• DSC07389.JPG
    DSC07389.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 794
  • DSC07216.JPG
    DSC07216.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 793
Back