Reducing rear hub width

oaep7

Retro Guru
Morning all,

I'm trying to fit a rear screw on freewheel 130mm campag hub to a frame with 126mm width, the frame does spring a bit to allow the hub to fit but the middle of the rim is off centre to the left. Is it best to reduce the spacing or just redish the wheel or both?

Im surprised the hub is 130mm as it's a screw on block and from late 80's early 90's

Any advice appreciated especially re best way to respace hub.

Thanks

I'd say first off if it's a 753 frame, DON'T spring it open.
You may be able to reduce the spacing on the hub by reducing the spacers but you will most likely need to redish the wheel. If you have the tools and the skill, then it's not too big a job. I guess the 130 screw on hub was to accomodate 8 speed. I'm taking a guess that you won't be trying to fit 8 speed, although it's possible, I've always found that the smallest sprocket is a little too close to the dropout for my liking.

I would perfer to adjust the spacing so that the top gear cog is as close to the fork end as possible, you might save 1 or 2mm.
Can you find a way to check the wheel dish is correct?

Hoping to fit a fixed or single speed cog, I'm ok with wheel building so the dishing wont be a problem but I will still need to reduce the spacing so it fits better.

Good call to check the dishing I will put the wheel in a modern 130 OLN bike to check.

Then I guess its reduce the spacing then dish it.

Back