How many bike shop workers plus ex on here ????

Did about 4 years running an independent and as much as I hated PDI'ing the crap it is actually where you learn so much. You really learn your diagnosing faults skills, with their half working crappy parts.
Working on high end parts is so easy when you've done your apprenticeship on the rubbish.

As for the customers well...

The phrase "I'm an engineer" always left me with a wry smile...

"Engineer of what exactly" I'd think and often they'd return with a bag of bits and an uncomfortable look of "was hoping it would be someone else serving" when they saw me.

Good times though.. happy days

Ah yes, "I'm an engineer, so I know what I'm talking about" type customers....

All BITD Spanner monkey in Philadelphia and MTB Guide in the Peak District and courrier in London,New York and Christchurch (not all at the same time)

ahh . . . the old "i'm an engineer" quote, almost forgot abut that . . . :roll:

picture the scene, busy saturday at cyclexperience in the heart of the new forest, small shop itself but with a 200 bike hire fleet 500yds away. stood at the counter dealing with a customer, a group of weekenders walk in, about 12 of them, aswel as 2 or 3 others.

my only helper was Sarah on this day, 18 years old and pretty, which doesn't help her in the job but helps you picture the scene.

then in a biblical rush they all want serving at the same time. :roll:

the group i had already realised were for the hire station, but Mr engineer managed to push them out of the way except 1 that i was dealing with so Sarah started asking "how can i help?", "I need to see your engineer" , "what's the problem, maybe i can help" (it should be said at this point that sarah had been working at the shop for 2 years) "No!" he said, "i NEED your engineer", i realised he was a bit of a knob as did Sarah but Sarah waited for me finish with my customer and introduced him to me and explained with a slight knowing roll of her eyes that "he NEEDS an engineer", so i asked "how can help, what's the problem?" he lifted up a wheel and pointed to the axle and said "i need a wheel nut" :roll: :roll:

i said "you don't need an engineer for that, last week end she won the National Junior Downhill series on her mountain bike so i'm sure finding a wheel nut isn't a problem for her"

several people behind him cracked up, especially the women :LOL:

after they had all gone i got a hug :D

this is what she does now

http://www.life.com/image/85151715

i love it when that happens

we had someone buying an £800 road bike, he said "will you be building it?
it's a rather expensive bike and i'd prefer it if the weekend lad didn't build it"

meet our weekend lad Matt, Yours is the cheaper model of the Carbon Fibre one he has ;)

unfortunately he now doesn't powerboat race, fortunately i didn't get a hug :D

mountainloz":2pd4p09g said:
seriously everyone... quit it! bunch of narrow minded @#*%
getting tired of this attitude to halfords

you can see from my shop history that i've possibly forgotten more than you know, i've been building custom spec bikes since back when all the fancy retro gear was fresh off the delivery,

the name halfords has nothing to do with the knowledge of the people in the building

i would happily have any of my team do any work on any of my bikes.

deep breath.... and relax!

Unfortunately, Halfords as a brand name will have a long way to go to endear itself to the sort of people that use this site so you will only get hostility until we all die off.

Good luck LGF.

Mountainloz I was only thinking the other day how Halfords gets so much stick but I'd rather go there then the two nearest local bike shops - my nearest doesnt like people looking around the shop! Great way to run a retail shop hey?!

being the biggest bike retailer will see the biggest collective of bike mechanics and as such will attract a cross representation

My local one had 1 shit one..now fired but 2 very good and very keen retro fans so I feel safe with the work they do and they do it well

engineer :oops:

I am a truck fitter not as a mechanic but engineering side, i can cut huge chunks out of a brand new truck, attach whole sleeper cabs body conversions, wire it all up. fit night heaters, air kits, 5th wheels, add blue tank and diesel tank conversions, chequer plate walkways and airbrake conversions, on my motorbikes I can strip all of it down and rebuild it

but for the life of me when it comes to realigning a a cable to operate gears..my mind goes a wandering..thats why I always pay others to do it..on bicycles I have a total brain fart and block

mountainloz":13rpf2b6 said:
seriously everyone... quit it! bunch of narrow minded @#*%
getting tired of this attitude to halfords

you can see from my shop history that i've possibly forgotten more than you know, i've been building custom spec bikes since back when all the fancy retro gear was fresh off the delivery,

the name halfords has nothing to do with the knowledge of the people in the building

i would happily have any of my team do any work on any of my bikes.

I am sorry I have not revisited this thread before now.

It was not my intention to c%&p on your doorstep per se but rather an attempt at tongue in cheek humour. It has obviously offended you and I apologize. It is a great pity that you don't run the bike department in my local Halfords.

Back