raleigh banana

wibblyjim

Retro Newbie
Hi. I am wondering wether i should buy a raleigh banana bike. I am not sure if they are very good. I have heard that there are different models but it is not stated in the ad and the seller doesn't know. Is there any way of finding out the model?

A dead give away are the gear levers, if they are black then it will mean it's likely to be a Paul Sherwin type replica based on a 18-23 tubing or similar. It would be un-likely to be the Reynolds 531 version.
if it's on ebay, reply with the link so we can assess it better.

Also, the lower end models didn't have a rear derailleur hanger and so the mech attached to the rear wheel dropout using a universal hanger like this

00004547.jpg

which clamps between the dropout and the wheel nut, or quick-release nut. In fact, for the most part these bikes came fitted with the ubiquitous Huret rear derailleur:

140.jpg

which might aid with identification. The frame was built with Raleigh's proprietary 18-23 tubing, which again might help you identify it one way or the other.

Cheers,
Gareth.

garethrl":3tsfys1c said:
Also, the lower end models didn't have a rear derailleur hanger and so the mech attached to the rear wheel dropout using a universal hanger like this

00004547.jpg

which clamps between the dropout and the wheel nut, or quick-release nut. In fact, for the most part these bikes came fitted with the ubiquitous Huret rear derailleur:

140.jpg

which might aid with identification. The frame was built with Raleigh's proprietary 18-23 tubing, which again might help you identify it one way or the other.

Cheers,
Gareth.

Also, the cheaper of the two models only has one set of water bottle mounts; the one with proper race spec has 2 sets. I think the latter also came with a fork with a sloping fork crown flush with the blades; the cheap version has a crown with a flatter top and a visible crown/blade junction.

Example pic of cheapo replica showing fork and rear derailleur mount here:

1145d1216373278-front.jpg

Another difference is that unlike this photo, the 531c model may well have had allen key brake bolts.

Link to pukka racing version here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27534652@N ... 735735@N24

There seems to be a subtle paint job difference in the seat lug area too. 531c version is yellow not black at that point.

David

the decals on the seat stays are different on the lightweight model
they read reynolds on one and shimano on the other
there are two lightweights a 531 with 6 speed shimano 105
and a 753 team model not sure of groupset on this but if you see one
buy it ! ive had the 531 banana and wrecked it in a crash. and still have the scars to prove it never seen a 753 in the flesh.
spooky just checked that flikr link thats my bike! or should i say was
i re built that with more modern equipment though. its mix of old 600. 105. and dura - ace.
frame is totally original.
ask what transfers are on the down tube if they read 18-23 its not lightweight if they say 531 or 753 or reynolds give me his phone number!
ive seen a couple of lightweight on flea bay recently make decent money

Never seen a 753 one either, would love to own on as well, so there may be a bidding war :LOL:

Did you find out any more about which model Team Banana the bike is?

Perhaps perversely, I'd be really interested in a 'gaspipe special' 18-23 tubed version, as long as the paint is in good condition. As bizarre as that might sound, I do have some warped rationale behind it! I'm trying to collect all the Raleigh Team-painted frames in as many tubesets as were available. So far I have a 70 's Record (yellow headtube) in 531, late 70's/early 80's TI Raleigh in 753 (a lovely Ilkeston SB frame), and recently acquired a Panasonic in 501. The unicorn will be trying to get a Super-U/Castorama frame in 653 but they do turn up from time to time - there's a repainted one in Reader's Bikes now, and a 21" NOS frame showed up on ebay recently but it was too small for me. So if I can add a Banana in 18-23 then I'll have a full house!

Well, for the road frames anyway - I'd 'need' an Adrian Timmis/David Baker special in DynaTech too, of course. After that I'm stuck for any more inspiring team liveries - the generic carbon frames with swooshy graphics nowadays really don't do it for me.

Cheers,
Gareth.

garethrl":133368au said:
Did you find out any more about which model Team Banana the bike is?

Perhaps perversely, I'd be really interested in a 'gaspipe special' 18-23 tubed version, as long as the paint is in good condition. As bizarre as that might sound, I do have some warped rationale behind it! I'm trying to collect all the Raleigh Team-painted frames in as many tubesets as were available. So far I have a 70 's Record (yellow headtube) in 531, late 70's/early 80's TI Raleigh in 753 (a lovely Ilkeston SB frame), and recently acquired a Panasonic in 501. The unicorn will be trying to get a Super-U/Castorama frame in 653 but they do turn up from time to time - there's a repainted one in Reader's Bikes now, and a 21" NOS frame showed up on ebay recently but it was too small for me. So if I can add a Banana in 18-23 then I'll have a full house!

Well, for the road frames anyway - I'd 'need' an Adrian Timmis/David Baker special in DynaTech too, of course. After that I'm stuck for any more inspiring team liveries - the generic carbon frames with swooshy graphics nowadays really don't do it for me.

Cheers,
Gareth.

Gareth - what size do you ride? There's a 23" Castorama 653 frameset doing the rounds on eBay at present;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Raleigh-653-Casto ... 1e61eb8e98

David

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi David,
Thanks for the heads-up - and also to the other forum member who pointed me at it! Happily ride a 23" frame and so will be keeping a close eye on this one.

The knock on the top tube is not ideal, but neither is it a dealbreaker. I wonder if I could get it rolled out by a builder? Probably not without messing up the paint and decals.

Cheers,
Gareth.

In the late 80's I went to Welwyn and watched a time trial stage of the Tour of Britain and Raleigh Banana were there, the bikes were 753 with C Record - I've still got the photos somewhere in the loft.

A guy I know who rides for Kettering CC owns an ex Fignon Raleigh Castorama. There's a picture of it on the net somewhere, I'll try and find it.

Back