Gazelle Champion Mondial

Here's the head lugs!
Frame018.jpg

73º and BCM?

Thanks for all the info! :cool:

Yes!!!! Crack the champagne! :D :cool: :LOL:

Steerer08.jpg

How would you guys deal with that rust inside? Don't want the new stem to get stuck too...

Steerer09.jpg

jC,

Nice :cool:

I would clean the steerer with a toothbrush and WD40. I would put a rust prevention grease inside and there won't be a rust issue anymore. I use stuff from Mike Sander and FluidFilm. I use their products for my old Saab too.

I was thinking of removing the rust with this wire brush.

limpacham.jpg

Elev12k":27ijnm6z said:
.. I would put a rust prevention grease inside...

Hi Elev12k,

Never knew such a thing existed. Where can I get some? Probably at a auto shop right?

Removing everyting with the wire brush is even nicer.

When I bought the rust prevention greases I imported them from Germany. I did a lot research on rust preventive materials, because of my old Saab. Mike Sander really excels in the long run, but for bicycle use FluidFilm has the more convenient products, like for example Gel grease and AS-R oil in in aerosol can with several nozzles. I do not know about availability in Portugal. However everything greasy has good anti rust qualities, so I wouldn't worry too much. There even is no real need to remove all rust. Simply on top. Dito for inside frame.

What you could also do is taking a round file and use it to make the internal edge smooth and round. It can result in that the stem slides in and out more easily and that the stem will not get scratched easily. I do that with all Champion Mondial forks. A tiny bummer, as I feel they should have done that at Gazelle immediately.

Looks like its coming on well.

The wire brush is a good idea, or you could use a flap wheel, brush is probably easier though.

Thanks again for posting the pics, I enjoy seeing how a build progresses rather than just posting a completed bike pic.

I'm still following your progress with interest.

Back