Ghetto SS question

i have a couple of cassettes sitting around, and i want to run 40:13 for road work if i do this, off the shelf sprockets tend to be bigger.

If you're running a 13 at the back you won't be able to use the plastic spacers as the cogs sit too low and the chain won't engage, if you notice on cassettes the last 2 cogs have metal intergrated spacers that sit lower... I tried that and found out the hard way!

I'm sure that you already know this but you won't be using a sprocket from a cassette will you? The ramps and funny shapes will make the chain try to shift even without a rear mech. As above, just get a ss specific/flat sprocket.

I use sprockets from old cassettes. It works if you're OK with Ghetto! Not so good if you have a 'push-down' tensioner though as you have less chain wrap. Fine with old derailler/no tensioner/Rohloff style 2 wheel tensioner.

Ten Pounds for a bit more confidence (trying desperately not to jinx myself here!) that the chain won't hop off when you're out of the saddle on the way up that steep hill? Worth it for me... Less maintainance too - will last way longer!

Got to agree with the above.. For the sake of a few quid seems pointless! Contact Woollyhatshop, get them to send you the kit and ask nicely for a 7 speed spacer ring, they are only peanuts! You'll have a proper setup and you wont end up knocking your teeth out on your handle bars :LOL:

exbiker":k9img69g said:
Im using a wooleyhatshop 8 spd one on a 7spd and as mentioned above bin off one of the spacers and you will need one cassette spacer for it to work.

Ditto. Absolutley no problem.

See Pic:

Attachments

• A2Z_SS_Converter.JPG
    A2Z_SS_Converter.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 537
Back