pedals and shoes

I just picked up some of those old nail on "shoe-plates" two road pairs and a cyclo cross pair NOS complete with nails!

I'll post some pics when I get the camera out.

Shoe plates:

P1070455.jpg

Nails:

P1070456.jpg

Cyclo cross plates:

P1070450.jpg

And some of mine. The long 'Anquetil' ones were made by TA and they also made a short version. The length was supposed to help stiffen the shoe. Supplied complete with nails and a surprisingly high price tag for the day.

The alloy one is 'Pavarin' probably dating from the early 80's. I have the pair - but can't see me using them! Just a part of my 'What We had to Put Up With' black museum. :twisted:

The black one is also 'Pavarin' but in a hard plastic and is possibly one of the first adjustable designs. There is a small plate that was nailed to the shoe sole and then the plastic slotted part was attached by small bolts to allow a degree of angle adjustment. I think they improved this in later models (which were also made in alloy) by making the back-plate a lot larger.

This idea then developed into the 'integral' adjustable plate such as the one shown on my 'Rivat' retro leather shoes. This was - at the time - a great leap forward and was a luxury compared to earlier designs. Trouble was that each shoe maker had a different design and very few - if any - were compatible.

Then we get into the minefield that is 'Clipless'............................ :? ;)

Attachments

• ShoePlates.3.A.jpg
    ShoePlates.3.A.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,235
  • ShoePlates.2.A.jpg
    ShoePlates.2.A.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,235
  • ShoePlates.1.A.jpg
    ShoePlates.1.A.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,235
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attachments

• MickShoes2.A.jpg
    MickShoes2.A.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 418
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back