How many bike shop workers plus ex on here ????

seriously everyone... quit it! bunch of narrow minded @#*%
getting tired of this attitude to halfords

you can see from my shop history that i've possibly forgotten more than you know, i've been building custom spec bikes since back when all the fancy retro gear was fresh off the delivery,

the name halfords has nothing to do with the knowledge of the people in the building

i would happily have any of my team do any work on any of my bikes.

Cycle Superstore, Manchester 1993-4 Sales
Center Cykler, Høje Taastrup 94-6 Sales/spanners
Weber Cykler, Amager 96-8 Sales/spanners
Jupiter II Nørrebro 98-2002 Sales
Short stint as courier 2002-3
Heino Cykler Østerbro 2003-2006 Sales/spanners
Bjarne Egedesø Odense 2007-2009 - Shimano Tech support for the spanners
Webike Odense 2009-10 - Workshop manager
2011 opening own shop. www.cykelposten.dk Spanners,sales, accounts and sweeping the floors. And occasional forays with national team in spare time.

mountainloz":2ac5r7q7 said:
seriously everyone... quit it! bunch of narrow minded @#*%
getting tired of this attitude to halfords

you can see from my shop history that i've possibly forgotten more than you know, i've been building custom spec bikes since back when all the fancy retro gear was fresh off the delivery,

the name halfords has nothing to do with the knowledge of the people in the building

i would happily have any of my team do any work on any of my bikes.
There are some good Halfords cycle mechanics and some not so good, just as in any bike shops, but sometimes you do get an employee who knows nothing about bikes as they've been drafted in from another department.

I know a few Halfords employees/ex employees from different stores and from what I'm told about the way things are run by Halfords it doesn't surprise me as to the general attitude towards Halfords from the cycling community.

There plenty of tales of problems with bikes bought at Halfords due to badly trained staff or staff who do not have the time to do the job properly, not always the fault of the employee, again it's Halfords giving themsleves a bad name through bad service.

But you hardly ever hear of all the times something goes right at any bike shop, it's rare to see anyone posting about how good a shop may be, people like to complain and rant

Halfords do themselves no favours at all, especially when they advertise the low end stuff all over the TV and papers. Any mechanic who has worked on low end bikes from any retailer knows just how bad they are.

Their ideas of how long a bike should take to PDI are a laugh, the prices for fitting parts are shocking. There are no set prices for a lot of the bikes, the prices always fluctuate wildly, quite often inflated for a month to then be in the sales showing a massive discount over the inflated price making the product look like a right bargain when in reality it isn't (A lot of retailers in lots of trades do this and it is perfectly legal)

If you were able to build a good team around yourself then that is good for all your customers in your branch, but generally speaking a lot of branches are not staffed by the most knowledgeable mechanics & sales people

There are good Halfords and bad ones, like with any shops as I mentioned earlier.

If you admit to working for Halfords on a cycling forum you do need a thick skin as the majority of cyclists loathe Halfords.

If this was a computer forum PC World would get the same sort of response as Halfords do on cycling forums.

Andy B":6hefcd5n said:
Halfords do themselves no favours at all, especially when they advertise the low end stuff all over the TV and papers.

people want to buy a bike for £100, you expect a £100 bike
someone has to sell them
like you say, they're not great, i myself am a bike snob :)
but a £100 bike from anywhere is still only a £100 bike

personally i'd prefer most of my components to be above the price of that bike.
however, look beyond that and there's some great stuff to be had, but, people still judge them as a £100 bike, not the £1000 high spec machine that they are

p.s. working on those bikes takes a lot more knowhow than most of the high spec stuff to get them working properly

give me a box of quality components and a frame and i'll build it quicker than PDI-ing the low end BSO

but saying that the best way to get a job there is to not know anything about bikes is one of the most half witted things i have ever heard

mountainloz":25y23th7 said:
p.s. working on those bikes takes a lot more knowhow than most of the high spec stuff to get them working properly

give me a box of quality components and a frame and i'll build it quicker than PDI-ing the low end BSO

but saying that the best way to get a job there is to not know anything about bikes is one of the most half witted things i have ever heard

cant agree with you more, the BSOs i have to build at JJB are horrendous and a pain in the behind to get PDI'd CORRECTLY.

dirtydozen":3rckktbr said:
cant agree with you more, the BSOs i have to build at JJB are horrendous and a pain in the behind to get PDI'd CORRECTLY.

:) *virtual High Five*

Bullpup's comment reminds me of a heckle that jimmy carr got, his comeback was something to do with "i dont come round to where you work and ..........." i can't continue as it's NSFW but the lower parts of a sailor were mentioned

i think i must order the most warranty parts of any store lol
vary rarely do i get a problem with a bike i have sold, at the end of the day you have to work with what your given and do it the best you can

good man!
it's good for the other side of the story to be heard
i know you don't work for us but i bet you get he same comments thrown at you :)

we dont really do servicing etc only on bikes bought from us and it cost basically half of what the bikes cost :LOL:
couldnt give a monkeys left nut what anyone says tbh, the may be BSOs but they are always a challenge and i get to work on bikes every day

Back