1992 GT Tequesta - wreck rescue!

First update:
Got some silver bars as in '92. I can't seem to get the same grips again, at least not in the right colour so I went for some Oury grips which look similar and are a close colour.
I can't afford separate DX thumbies and XT levers which I used to have so I bought some XT SLR plus STI levers instead for a good price off here. They are what I really wanted but couldn't afford in '92. Funny how things swap around in value - thumbies were the cheap option back then IIRC.
Anyway, apart from the bar ends the controls are done:
bb06504f.jpg

There is no way I'll be able to afford the DX hubs/Mavic 231 rins I had back then but I will have available a similar looking STX based wheelset soon.

Stripped the crap off the bike so it looks a bit happier.
Next stage is B&Q to get some bits for cleaning up and polishing bits. Going to strip the frame of all its parts and clean it up, followed by touching up the decals and paint with acrylic paint (wife is an artist) then a gloss lacquer over the top. Hopefully this should make the frame and forks look quite fresh. At least the decals are pretty good.

Still needing bits and bobs though. I'm not sure if I want some but does anyone have the Shocktech forks, V1? Pink decals etc.

Rob Atkin":2l8xf74g said:
Still needing bits and bobs though. I'm not sure if I want some but does anyone have the Shocktech forks, V1? Pink decals etc.

Don't do it to yourself, get something that'll work. Or better still keep it rigid and save your beans for the inevitable next project. Some bikes work best rigid, I've always felt that about the Tequesta (and Karakoram).

I myself picked up a '92 GT Tequesta not too long ago. Mine had the blue "wild fiesta" paint scheme but it was far too gone to rescue, so I repainted it.

Good luck with the restoration!

The paint schemes back then were ace. Ok not to everyone tastes but nowadays paint is so dull on most bikes. A tasteful splatter effect looks good on any bike provided you get the colours right.

Drencrom":2p90h83j said:
Rob Atkin":2p90h83j said:

Don't do it to yourself, get something that'll work. Or better still keep it rigid and save your beans for the inevitable next project. Some bikes work best rigid, I've always felt that about the Tequesta (and Karakoram).

Yeah it be just for show. I don't think I'd like to use forks which have previously tried to kill me. :-/

Some more bits have arrived.
A 26t NOS Onza Buzzsaw (£2.99 off ebay!!) which I had originally, and a good condition Gorilla brake booster. Not sure if it was a Gorilla one originally and can't tell from old pictures but it's looks very similar if it's not the same. Doesn't seem to be many around so I didn't have much choice.
80026559.jpg

Full set of XT canti's arrived. Only need one but these are cool - I have a spare!

Brought back memories, or I should say nightmares, of setting the cursed things up BUT that's what I had so they'll be going on.

a67c1d47.jpg

By complete surprise I got a PM from a RBer saying he had a pair of Shocktech V1 forks and I could have them for free! I won't mention his name here but they were gratefully received. We had a great and too short chat about old bikes. I left promising to join a local RB ride when the bike was done.

They just need a polish up and new decals. They even have been converted to springs. :)

Well chuffed!!

fe33fd96.jpg

These arrived in the post today, courtesy of Sithlord. They are what I used to use on my bike. I have no idea why, as they squeaked like smeg but that's what I'm going for anyway (originality no squeaking BTW).
Scott Superbrake canti brake pads.
6a46b0fd.jpg

Latest posts

Back