1992 GT Tequesta - wreck rescue!

MADJEZ":p3fkmyrg said:
Hang in there !
It's amazing what a clean and strip down will do to old parts.

Suggest you get it working with cheap/modern parts for now and
then pick up period parts in slow time (and for a good price as and
when).

Plan to make it more period at a later stage.
(Decals are testers at the mo!)

I see what you're saying but the price of the period parts is cheaper than modern ones!!

gt tequesta

ha, been waiting for this one!

overall its a good start really, keep at it.

i reckon you will get stuff replaced replaced from retrobike wanted easy enough.

good stuff.

marc.

Bummer some of the drivetrain is trashed. Strip all those parts away and single speed it until you can put together something reliable. It would lighten it up and you'd at least get some enjoyment out of it!

Bike still at work, going to take some tools and strip off what is knackered and bin it before I come home.
Never going to use the saddle, it's terrible but as it's the original I don't want to chuck it - what do you think?
Selling the Saracen to fund this, wish I hadn't taken it apart!!
Might keep the mudguard on? Only joking.

Rob Atkin":1wb4t3ya said:
I see what you're saying but the price of the period parts is cheaper than modern ones!!

I meant new cheap parts are cheaper then posh retro.

So for chains/pedals/brakes etc just chuck something on that works
so you can ride & enjoy it. Worry about getting it period later.

Sounds like you know what you're doing tho so look forward to the
finished article.

I think the only thing that won't be the same as my original 1993 build will be the thumbshifters. I had them then but always preferred STI - nowadays it's the thumbshifters that cost the most money! Most other things should be ok. I used to have DX/231 wheels but they seem to be very rare now and too expensive for me so I'll try to get something that's similar.
I actually had Onza porcs (White) at one point but I think they must be mega rare now as I haven't seen any for sale yet.

coomber":1yvpc7vi said:
White porcs go for a bomb. About £500-1000 I think. Seriously.

:shock: :shock: Really???? Wow I bet I'm not the only person who wishes he hadn't chucked a half worn pair away.
They were spectacularly bad on anything hard and wet and I swear they actually left a White line on the road they wore out so fast on Tarmac.
Any they were heavy too.
BUT they were cool. And that's what matters. :-D

Back