Things of beauty

ededwards":1hdgqxcb said:
gm1230126":1hdgqxcb said:
Dazza'a bikes but that nago to shame.

Please don't tell me you've just called a Colnago a 'nago!!!! Say it isn't so

It's just a NAGO. I don't mean to ruffle feathers but that's even what we called them when I sold them in the 80's. Seriously if you like the shine get a Llewellyn. Check them out: http://www.llewellynbikes.com/thegaller ... frames/aal
Once you look you'll know why it's just a NAGO.

gm1230126":23wj2va1 said:
ededwards":23wj2va1 said:
gm1230126":23wj2va1 said:
Dazza'a bikes but that nago to shame.

Please don't tell me you've just called a Colnago a 'nago!!!! Say it isn't so

It's just a NAGO. I don't mean to ruffle feathers but that's even what we called them when I sold them in the 80's. Seriously if you like the shine get a Llewellyn. Check them out: http://www.llewellynbikes.com/thegaller ... frames/aal

If a Colnago is a Nago what's a Llewellyn then? A Welly? :LOL:

holden":1g4mmj6a said:
ededwards ... question for you ... i have a c-rec group that needs a frame. what 88-92 frame would you find? should be desireable, respectable classic, available in a 47-48cm, but not so obscure it takes forever to find.

thoughts? cinelli? mercyx? specific models?

i've also considered road frames by mtb buiders (bontrager, mantis, klein or fat) but they so rarely show up much less in smaller sizes.

Hmm, I'd have to say a that you couldn't go too far wrong with one of the Colnago Master Series (Olympic possibly?) with the Prescia straight fork and one of the wild Colnago paint jobs.

That said I personally would not worry too much about period correctness - any mid 80s to early 90s classic Italian steel bike would be great with that groupset (Delta brakes?) and you won't go far wrong with a De Rosa, Pinarello, Gios, Cinelli etc. in Columbus SL or SLX. If you want to go Belgian then a Merckx Corsa Extra or perhaps a Concorde in PDM colours would look very fine. Or, going back a little further, what about the wine red Colnago Mexico with white panels that Saronni won with at Goodwood in the early 80s? Understated and oozes class.

I think I'd prefer one of the above to the road offerings from the Fats, Bontragers etc. for the same reason that I wouldn't want a Colnago mountainbike - beautiful, rare but somehow not quite right. Please note that this is personal opinion not based on riding!

You sound like you have a really exciting hunt ahead of you, hope the above hasn't confused but if pushed I'd say that you can't possibly regret getting a Colnago.

gm1230126":1g4mmj6a said:

No feathers ruffled at all, I just have a stupid (and irrational?) dislike of some shortened forms (principally Campy but also Bonty, Spesh etc. - but I won't get started!).

And I have to agree that the Llewellyn is seriously tasty.

i want one in molteni orange

Attachments

• monostay-s.jpg
    monostay-s.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 2,230
  • mondelos.jpg
    mondelos.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 2,230
ededwards":3cgp4z51 said:
... Columbus SL or SLX

thanks for the recommendations. those all sound good. the materials shortlist will help also for me to ID better (?) builds. "yes" on the deltas; that and the cranks were what drew me to c-rec.

sl / slx

By Jove! that Gios has some right ugly dropouts on it.
I've got a Concorde Squadra ex PDM re-baked in Molteni orange.
Its in SLX and has a fantastic ride. Very specific about tyre pressures though - over 110psi on the Contis and it feels like its made of scaffolding tubes, but at the right pressure......mmmmmm!
And in my opinion, better than any 531 frame I've had - even with the steep racing frame angles. I've got mudguards on it. I'll post a pic when I clean it.

sl / slx

lelobysfoot":1owz7mkz said:

:evil:
I really like those dropouts, I had them on mine Gios Compact,
which got stolen unfortunately 4 years ago :cry: .
You have some fore/aft adjustability depending on tire width.

Frames

They are utilitarian I suppose. I am sorry to hear about the theft. I got a pair of titanium skewers nicked once and replaced with crappy shimano ones. I was baffled by this gentlemanly criminal. But all theft is deploreable.

Re: sl / slx

lelobysfoot":2bo6e5p3 said:

Not sure I completely agree re. the dropouts as the frame is generally handsome but loving the "By Jove"!

Colnago

I ride a Master X lite on the road, of all the bikes I've ever owned it is the one that brings a smile to my face as soon as I get those pedals spinning. It's not just the head turning paint job, the frame is perfectly balanced, it handles superbly, especially on the rough peak district roads and it's just the right weight. The fluted tubes make it nice and stiff and the underlying chrome gives you a long lasting frame. Buy Colnago!

Back