96 Amp Research B4 **Updated Page 2**

Owen

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I would like to introduce you all to Gwen... my first retro project! After about 2 months I finally finished building her at about midnight last night! I took her out to get all dirty with me today... what can I say apart from wow! :D She rides better than she looks and... well... I think she looks pretty damn sexy! ;)

Heres the spec run down...

Frame: Amp Research B4 medium
Fork: Amp Research F4 BLT
Brakes: Amp Research D1
Brake Levers: Pauls Component Love Levers (see below)
Handelbar: Control Tech (NOS)
Stem: Syncros Cattlehead (NOS) (see below)
Headset: Chris King
Seatpost: Ringle Moby (NOS)
Saddle: Bontrager Ti (NOS)
Seatpost Clamp: Salsa
Front Hub: Amp Research
Rear Hub: Shimano XT Parralax with Amp Research disc adaptor.
Rims: Sun CR17A
Quick Releases: Use Spinstix (NOS)
Tyres: Tioga Psycho K Biscuit (NOS)
Cranks: Cooks Brothers Racing E Crank
Chainrings: Middleburn 44, 32, 22 compact
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN72 (NOS)
Front Mech: Shimano XT
Rear Mech: Shimano XT with SRP mech bolt
Cassette: Shimono XT 8 speed (NOS)
Chain: Sram
Shifters: Gripshift SRT 800 Xray (NOS)
Grips: Yeti Speed Grips (NOS)
Pedals: Onza HO (NOS)
Bottle Cage: Ringle H2O

She's had a complete overhaul including all new bushings, pins and seals. All bolts have been replaced with either quality stainless steel or aluminium in low stress areas.

Thanks to Jez, Elite504, Wold Ranger and Lardlover for helping me out with parts for the build. Gil_M for the frame decals. And a big thanks to Brion at Amp Research for his help and advice.

Todays ride highlighted a few parts that need to be changed, the brake levers are v-brake compatible and the brakes are designed to work with canti levers... doh. The stem, as much as I love it needs to be changed... at 135mm it's a bit too long (I'm only 5'8") I think a 100-120mm should be spot on. If any of you can help me out in either of these areas please let me know (I'll be after similar condition/quality).

Here's some pics let me know what you think...

11112007243.jpg

11112007247.jpg

11112007245.jpg

11112007258.jpg

11112007251.jpg

11112007254.jpg

11112007266.jpg

:D :D :D :D :cool: ;)

I like this a lot, it's not easy to combine turquoise and purple but you did a good job. Tell us, is that the seat post that gave you the start to try this combination?

FRED101":3ihzz4oo said:
Tell us, is that the seat post that gave you the start to try this combination?

Not really... I've always liked purple and blue together so had decided to build her like this before I got the post.

neilll":3ihzz4oo said:
.........gotta be a BOTM winner I reckon :D

Really? You reckon? :oops: :D

cce":3n95po1j said:
wasn't purple considered a bit of a faux pas by 1996?

Probably was but around 96/97 I had a bike with a few purple bits on because of that reason (nothing this good though as I couldn't afford it back then)... I've never really been one for following fashion! + If they still made components in purple my modern bike would be decked out in it too... I just love the colour!

Back