Raleigh Milk Race special single speed

Old Ned":113a7lxc said:
£90? Not quite so 'zero-budget' then? I've bought complete bikes for less than that. Never mind, once you start shopping on here you'll spend a lot more................(everyone else does!)

Wakefield, Caistor - linked by a worm hole through the space/time continuum (or something like that!).

Went through there last year. I think we woke the place up when I changed gear to get up the hill. ;)

Well the original bike cost me £30, but the wheels, seat, seatpost, new crank, new bb, new chain, new rat trap pedals and brakes came to £60 so not too bad

Just to show that Im not a complete and utter bastard and do show some sympathy for the bike, here is one of the brakes cleaned up. Atm running front only but going to swap to rear only

24022011666.jpg

Rear only brake?

Front brake provides something like 85% of your stopping power in terms of distance, or close to 100% in the wet. So says Bicycling Science, Sheldon Brown and pretty much every experienced cyclist. Only having a rear brake means your emergency stopping distance will be far greater than if you had a front brake.

In case it's not clear enough already, you should absolutely not do this.

Oh no, I'm not illegally cycling am I!? I like to have fun with my bike, surely that's the aim with cycling? I am running a back brake only and it seems pretty much the same as front only except I skid sometimes and the cable is held on with blue 'happy 21st birthday' balloons. I have also stuck a non standard sticker on her :shock:

caistor_bmx":ui7y1m00 said:
Oh no, I'm not illegally cycling am I!? I like to have fun with my bike, surely that's the aim with cycling? I am running a back brake only and it seems pretty much the same as front only except I skid sometimes and the cable is held on with blue 'happy 21st birthday' balloons. I have also stuck a non standard sticker on her :shock:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: +1 for a front brake!! ;)

caistor_bmx":3bsbrr44 said:
I know alot of these sites are very anti single speed so be good to me!

caistor_bmx":3bsbrr44 said:

You seem to think that people on Retrobike will tell you off for misuse of a nice old frame. I assume that you think this because you have already visited LFGSS, which is full of idiots with big internet voices who like to make themselves feel good by taking new members on their forum down a peg or two.

They also desperately aspire to have the testicle size/unbalanced mental state that real bike couriers have. Said physical and mental abnormalities are what allow couriers to ride round London all day long at breakneck speeds without the benefit of brakes, and in most cases stay alive.

Retrobike members, on the other hand, are generally a friendly and well-balanced lot, and rather than thinking "this chap has ruined a perfectly good old frame by putting purple bits on it and stripping it of gears", are actually thinking "great, this chap is riding around on a nice old frame, this is A Good Thing because he hasn't been tempted to buy some awful BSO and has kept a perfectly serviceable old frame in use".

However, the flipside of this is that Retrobike members, unlike LFGSS, are not so obsessed with wearing tweed and buying gold headsets that they forget the fact that riding with only a back brake is REALLY STUPID. You will either:

a) be forced to ride so slowly to avoid piling into the back of queues of traffic that you give up cycling altogether, or

b) approach cycling with such disregard for your/other people's safety that you maintain good speed around town (running red lights and narrowly missing pushchairs, shopping carts etc) but piss off every other road user and eventually get run over by a lorry.

Keep your front brake, ideally go fixed so you at least have some decent stopping power at both ends. Or get two brakes. I used to commute 100 miles a week on my fixed gear bike and I would never have gone without brakes.

I'm in a bit of a mood this afternoon for which I apologise in advance :LOL:

is caistor_bmx still alive?

this got me thinking about my single-speed project utilising an old road frame....

Seems logical to have a front brake minimum, preferably front and rear, but rear only seems pretty pointless... you may as well have no brakes!

Plus front only uses less cable than rear only: therefore it's lighter! :D

Back