Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Get your votes in now for your February BoTM.

PICT6696.JPG

80Nicola80's Grandis special G.S. Quarella 1979

eva024.jpg

mark34's Colnago Mexico

5441392301_0379b787ee_b.jpg

Elev12K's PEKA

5341157849_ecbeb94248_o.jpg

bushpig's 1988 7-11 Team Serotta

img_8430_196.jpg

madmax's 1984 Moser Grand Sport

Surely the best rBoTM yet - only 5 entries but oh my, what quality!

I'm struggling to pick one out as I think I can argue (with myself) a sound case for each to be a worthy winner.

In the end though I'll plump for the Serotta which just pips the Peka in understated class and purposefulness.

like the huffy but prefer the Moser, and a friend has a 1991 frame so i know a little of Moser's history so i have an appreciation for the brand.

I voted for the Grandis. It is the only one that I feel is truly pure in the way it is presented. It doesn't have mis-matching components or anachronistic parts. There is also the fact that it is without a doubt the nicest bike ever restored by a paraplegic confined to a wheelchair.

The Colnago is certainly very "Bling" but if you want to "upgrade" a bike with bling components, I feel that you have to go all the way, which means pantographed stem, 50th anniversary pedals, chromed chainstay, Italian rims (Saronni used Ambrosio rims as best as I know)...

I quite like the PEKA, but feel that the visual presentation lets it down somewhat. Likewise what is this about presenting a bike without pedals? By customs regulations in many countries, a "bike" without pedals and/or saddle is not even defined as being a "bicycle" but rather as parts (I know this because back in the 80's I imported some bikes and found a loop hole that allowed me to reduce the duty rate by importing parts instead of a whole bike). Likewise where are the lever hoods? and to my eye, the large chainring is calling our for some drillium or at very least a set of super record chainrings.

The Huffy doesn't even register with me. The aesthetics are bland and vulgar to my eye. I realize it is a team bike in design, but to plaster the frame with all the oversized decals is too much and overpowers any possible beauty that the frame might have. Likewise the paint scheme is neither classical nor inventive. It is however the bike that I would most like to take a ride on, as I would be interested in knowing how it handles.

It is the presentation of the Moser that turned me off most of all the bikes this month. How can you spend all the time to take such beautiful photos and then insert the front wheel skewer backwards? Totally unforgivable! Likewise for the angle of the handlebars. That the bars need to be set up like that to make the bike rideable for the owner is very possible as it would appear somewhat small, but when you photograph the bike, a more classical set-up is called for.

I wouldn't normally vote for a bike with no pedals, but the PEKA is my choice this month, with the Huffy/Serotta second.

'80Nicola80's Grandis special G.S. Quarella 1979' . This got my vote. Fantastic job done with it. Lots of effort there and its paid off.

mark34's Colnago Mexico; is a lovely bike, in fact all his bikes seam teriffic. I still want a Colnago someday.

Elev12K's PEKA; Really like this bike. Despite having no pedals, it looks like the one which will be used and enjoyed. This was very nearly my vote.

Its taken me a couple of days to decide: difficult choice.

Back