Bike weights

To maintain the look I think your trying to achieve..I'd first change

tyres/tubes and fit veloplugs maybe a maxxis set up

next I'd ditch the chain

look at lighter pedals

next post and saddle for KCNC and a SLR(personnel preference)

next chainset, Middleburn UNO, white industries or a modded XTR

get some ti aheadset spacers too

possibly a carbon or scandium bar

though not the lightest I'd keep the king and the braided hoses and obviously wheels set but if you wanted to push it re rim to some nice stans or summat.

sounds hyper critical but I like the look you've got and they would be incremental changes.

My cranks are 450g inc spider >I do believe the uno is 430g Excluding the spider :? not sure about XTR or White ind'

The chain .Yes indeed,its a heavy bugger it is. Unfortunately i do like the look of it :D

Tyres :? the wildslipper are kevlar,not sure i can afford another set of kevlar beaded just to save a few oz.,I have some 1.5" schwalbe city jet ive just fitted,thought i doubt theyre any lighter :?

Skewers ,again i dont think cheap ones will have the same holding power as Hope,plus i would never fit a Ti skewer to the front wheel.Just not safe :? and im not sure what the difference is between them in weight,but i dont think even 50gms will make that much of a difference :?
My bar is cut to 530mm.a new one may be lighter but chances are the extra length will add up to any other bar weighing about the same?

TBH i cant see much way of saving 1.5KG to bring it down to 20lb or less :?
OK could maybe bring it down 200-300 gms but for how much? £100 maybe
:shock:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I can't believe it's that heavy, my 20" Steel Kona with suspension an gears came in at 24lb and I could lighten it quite easily.

Inner tubes, what you using. Generic Cheapo Tesco/Airwave can be 250g (actually not usre of Tesco's)
Drop to some 150g or sub that.
So a 250g inner tube to 150g inner tube would save you 200g (which is 0.44lb)
Of course you might have light weight inner tubes ?

and that 321g is 0.7lb

a few 50g here and there soon adds up into bloat ;)

And don't listen to that man up there about the UN72's they are in the 250g region, un50-53 are in the 300 to 350g region. Only the UN52 dips below 300g but only by 10 or 20g and still heavier than UN72's
Of course FSA Ultimax and UN9x's are lighter.
Ti even lighter ;)

Ti headset spacers add weight, splined Alu or carbon are the lighter one's

Without the weight of the other bits it's hard to tell.

Wildgripper, dunno which one's are they
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listi ... e=mtbtyres

I'd go for grip and comfort over weight though in a tyre. The Maxxis 330 are light for a reason, they are race tyres and you'd kill them quickly and only good in the dry.

The atomlab cost me a fiver,and are seriously grippy :cool:

I have some wellgo C27 pedals that came on another bike.270gms /pair :D
Thats that sorted. :? Next?

dyna-ti":dubkkh3z said:
I never thought of those things :(
Looks like im forever destined to own heavyweights :cry:

Deploy the Black & Decker - make a few Strategic 'Oles :p

I really must find that "Tough of the Track" story ;)

i was puzzled when my moots rigormootis Ti SS came in at 22lbs at this spec:

28042010748.jpg

i was told it was 18lb, but my scales said otherwise, though it felt super light still.

even my jeff jones was pretty light, people used to say it had to be 21-22lb..........and were shocked when i told them it was 27lb!

Its those bloody pace forks.Theyre some sort of weight illusion. Off the bike they weigh 900gms.but when you fit them they jump up to 2 kg :shock: :shock:

Back