Applying Decals.

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I've got some new decals for my Orange E4 frame and Pace RC36 Evo Pro forks (thanks to Orange and Jez for those ;) )

The fork decals are no problem, they're on, it's the Large 'Orange' ones that go on the down tube that are worrying me. :?

What's the bast way of applying self adhesive decals without getting air bubbles and giving you a bit of chance to reposition if they don't go on straight first time??

I've heard a bit of soapy water can work, but I'm not sure if that's OK with the self adhesive type.

Any sugestions from people who have experience????

Thanks, Chris.

There was a really good thread on this once before.
You can use the "search" to find it.

I've tried using search, but haven't had much luck.

I've never really got on with forum search functions....that don't like me much! :evil:

This might help, as long as they are individual letters and not large panels

Firstly cut the decals into separate sections, best bet is to lightly draw a straight line through the centre of the lettering on the application tape

Position this on the tube where you think it looks best, might be worth sticking it in place with a little masking tape just to make sure it looks ok from all angles

With a china graph pencil extend the centre line onto the frame, this will give you a point of reference once you have peeled the backing paper away.

Clean the area of the frame where you intend applying the decal, best to use acetone or similar de-greasing spirit allow a few minutes for this to dry.

Remove the backing paper to reveal the sticky reverse of the decal, position it using you reference points on the frame and gently rub the decal on working from the centre outwards.

Once you have fully rubbed down the whole area of the decal gently remove the application tape, leaving the decal in place.

Hope this helps

Cheers for that.

Unfortunately they're one big 'lump' of mainly clear decal (just "orange" outlined in black) like this.........

5-Frame-001559.jpg

I'm worried about gettin air bubbles trapped under them 'cos it' going to show big time!

if you do get air bubbles you can prick them with a pin carefully to 'deflate' them. Some you can move with your thumb to the edge of the decal as well so it works its way out.

Bubbles

I find when applying stickers, it's best to warm them up first, the plastic is far more pliable and the adhesive bonds better. Your are also less likely to risk bubbles, as you will find the sticker rolls on better. Always start from one end and work slowly along. I find a good quality one inch stiffish paintbrush a bit like putting on wallpaper, helps a lot .

Latest posts

Back