Its happening again!

As to the quality of the welds I guess it depends on who was doing the welding. The welds on the KK are extremely neat and tight, must have been a more skillful welder working on that particular frame/day. ;)

:D :D

Just found this thread again..

Jez, wasn't meant to be arsey!! :D You will know when I am ;)

Tis odd. From the first moment I rode a Kona - a pink/purple splatter Explosif with Suntour, and several other Fire mountains/Lava domes etc, as soon as I got on them, they just felt wrong. Its not like I am odd shaped, every bike I get fits fine.
Never ridden a Hot or Ti Kona, so no basis for not liking them, they just do not 'do it' for me. :cry:

To me an old Merlin is a classic work of art. Sadly, a Kona, not. Could be I used to aspire to Merlins. Who knows?

Agree about the frame material, from a ride view, the Fat Buck is prolly as tasty as the tinbred. High steel / cheap ti? Used to really want ti until I had one. Really want a nice steely again now. IF mmmmmm

The 'aspire to' factor I think plays a massive part. Lots of people owned Konas and liked them, so aspire to ti Kona. Hence, higher percentage of old boys with toys want them now, up goes price...

This could all change though if Jez lends me his Kona for a ride.. :D

stevek":sdvhhhf0 said:
What I don't agree on is the view that Merlin or Litespeed make anything more "special", perhaps I can be convinced otherwise but nothing I've read so far has convinced me. Merlin and Litespeed do make very good frames (I own a Rob V Merlin Mountain) but are they any more exclusive and better made than the ti Kona's? I don't think so. You may cite the butting of the XLM and yes it does save some weight but it doesn't improve the ride characteristics and when you weigh as much as we do, up to half a pound of weight saved is neither here or there.

I'm not going to try to evangelise Merlins to you. I will just step in to make it very clear that I've got an 'old' Merlin - the new ones are just tarted up Litespeeds, which themselves are a fantastic example of marketing over substance, and rich white mens bikes.

Grrr - retrogrouch in full fly!

you nearly got me going on the saving weight thing!!

I put the coffee down though, and more chilled now.

(..but lighter is better and half a pound is lots ;) )

Latest posts

Back