So what's the story with Dekerf?

In 1990 this would be his sig on the custom bike of his. He was at Rocky for years before (no idea how long) that he was around when TOYO was building some bike for them (avalanche etc I assume) as he went for a visit there (in some talk on another forum about toyo frames an email somebody posted from dekerf mentioned it).

Attachments

• DB-CD logo's.JPG
    DB-CD logo's.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 3,321
10th anniversary DeKerf fillet brazed and golden applications #06/10

will put in the pics when I found them on my old defect pc.... :cry:

De Kerf Jubiläums Frame,
Rock Shocks SID,
Race Face Stem Ti,
Chris King Aheadset,
Merlin Handlebar,
Deore XT Thumbies,
Avid Ultimate Levers,
Pro Grips,
Litespeed Seatpost,
Fizik Nisene Saddle,
Avid Arch Supreme Brakes,
Ringlé Bottle Cages,
Litening Cranks,
Syncros Ti BB,
Syncros Chainrings,
Crupi Pro Round Pedals,
Dura Ace Chain,
Mavic 217 Sup Ceramic Rims,
Chris King Classic Hubset,
XTR Cassette 11-30 Ti,
Salsa QR Ti,
Paul Derailleurs Rear + Front Customize

My UK LTD Edition is the best steel bike i have ever owned and ridden and the only bike i could replace it with would be a Team SL fillet brazed or maybe an Indy Fab at a push :roll:

bmx4130crmo":3eatyx7w said:
10th anniversary DeKerf fillet brazed and golden applications #06/10

DSCN1152.JPG

DSCN1154.JPG

DSCN1155.JPG

DSCN1161.JPG

more pics: http://fotos.mtb-news.de/s/9789

:shock: :shock: This can easily be my next all time favourite bike. Absolutely love the golden appl.
I have only heard about these bikes but never seen one. Absolutely lovely

About eight years ago a roadie shop at the top of Box Hill [Cycles Daupine I think they were called] was the UK distributor and had 2 or 3 frames in stock, plus the mechanic had built one up for his own use. You never know they might be worth a call.

Went to Cannock last week and amongst all the dull modern clones, was a Dekerf sat outside the cafe (admittedly with two other steel bikes). We sat and looked at it almost silently as we supped our tea. I almost wanted to shake the hand of the lady who came to retrieve it....but that would be creepy!

They are truly special frames.

haggis":39xgxhss said:
My UK LTD Edition is the best steel bike i have ever owned and ridden and the only bike i could replace it with would be a Team SL fillet brazed or maybe an Indy Fab at a push :roll:
You would replace a Dekerf with an Indy Fab? :shock:
You're nuts. :p

DeKerf...

first up, hey Mr FMG, that is one cool looking bike...particularly the hip-flask holder :cool:

What a wonderful and informative thread, have been riding DeKerfs since the late 90s...kicking things off with a bit of a rare one!
The dates refer to my time spent riding them, and are not the "model" years themselves.

1. DK F.S. (1998-2000) Green, Ritchey Logic / AMP (B3) ...after a returning from summer season in Chamonix 1998 on my beloved Stumpjumper Team, some full suspension (& steel) seemed appealling to me, purchased from ReCycle in Croydon...which was kinda like a shop for cool used kinda retro'ish equipment. This was a wicked bike, with a cute stainless steel gusset under the headtube...retired from service once the numerous amp bushings wore out.

2. DK Singlspeed (1999-2009) Brown, Reynolds 725...one of my most loved and ridden bike of all time...took it with me to Norway in 2009 where the frame eventually cracked--after a few months insane useage on the trails above Oslo Rest in Pieces. "DK1"

3. DK Team SL Red, (2006) Reynolds 853...rode my first ever 24hr event on this. Adored it. Especially the fillet brazing around the seat cluster. Purchased s/h via the RetroBike forum. Killed the frame (and nearly myself! cheers Giro Xen) riding into the back of a stationary 4x4 one very dark night! A comment by Mike Ferrentino in Bike Mag summed it up "this Bike kicks ass with big heavy boots on!"

4. DK Softail, blue (2007) Reynolds 853 / ti...purchased NOS via STW forum, never built up by myself, and subsequently sold in response to a WTD. add on here to help fund trip to Norway. The review of this bike by

5. DK Implant, brown (2007-to present) Reynolds 853 purchased s/h from bike mechanic at Afan. An amazing bike, prehaps what I should have taken to Norway rather than destroying my sspd. A standout feature for me are the chainstays which are of epic proportions, and nostalgically remind me of those on my stumpjupmer, and also the early Columbus Max OR tubesets of yore! Just rebuilding this now ready for some deep forestry action. Quite why I did not go ride this in Norway remains a mystery to me!

So basically quite a fan!...funnily enough when the RetroBike website began, I was totallay sure if they counted as "Retro" due to the fat that they are still in production today!...unlike say for e.g. FAT Chance etc.

There was some great coverage in the mags during the mid to late 90s. The already mentioned review in Bike mag, being one of them.
Also there was an interview with Chris DeKerf in MTB Pro, and a test of the Team SL appeared in it's super sweet but shortlived successor MTB World. Steve Worland was riding them for a while, which is probably testament enough.

Re: DeKerf...

tangent":1gg213ei said:
! A comment by Mike Ferrentino in Bike Mag summed it up "this Bike kicks ass with big heavy boots on!"

Actually said about the Team ST softail, and in the same article describing it as the "Best handling bike in the World".
Nearly right; IMHO, the original Dekerf mountain was better. ;)

Re: DeKerf...

tangent":2ir2tgro said:
What a wonderful and informative thread, have been riding DeKerfs since the late 90s...kicking things off with a bit of a rare one!

You want rare? Found some pics of another one I owned at one time. Chris only made a couple of them. No name. No ser.#.

DKFS.jpg

Ex messing around on it. Buddy messing with my MC.
Dscf0037.jpg

Built up w. Risse Trixxy fork. 6" Seismic hubs, Sram Woody, Thomson, etc. Buddy messing about at our campsite.
greenpig.jpg

Back