Any suggestions for retro-looking amber wall tyres?

bushpig":3ifus99j said:
Not tanwall, but I like Contis, which still look good. I caution against older Turbos. I have have three self destruct (the tire peeled away from the casing) after about 5km each.

This seems to be a recurring issue with NOS road tyres. I've raided the inventory of old rubber at my LBS a number of times and old tyres just seem to age in an instant once you begin using them. I've had turbos peel, Vittoria twin treads separate where the compounds meet, and a pair of lovely circa 1985 Avocet Fasgrips go from brand new to perished unrideable in the space of weeks, mostly while hanging up in a basement.

Veloflex are probably the best racy option, and being available in a 20 is a plus for 80s and 90s bikes too IMO.

shogun":12b0o2le said:
bushpig":12b0o2le said:
Not tanwall, but I like Contis, which still look good. I caution against older Turbos. I have have three self destruct (the tire peeled away from the casing) after about 5km each.

This seems to be a recurring issue with NOS road tyres. I've raided the inventory of old rubber at my LBS a number of times and old tyres just seem to age in an instant once you begin using them. I've had turbos peel, Vittoria twin treads separate where the compounds meet, and a pair of lovely circa 1985 Avocet Fasgrips go from brand new to perished unrideable in the space of weeks, mostly while hanging up in a basement.

Veloflex are probably the best racy option, and being available in a 20 is a plus for 80s and 90s bikes too IMO.

Hmm... I have a couple bikes specced with Fasgrips for a while now and they are fresh and hold up perfectly fine. Possibly your LBS stores their tyres poorly?

Elev12k":22entzpp said:
shogun":22entzpp said:
bushpig":22entzpp said:

Hmm... I have a couple bikes specced with Fasgrips for a while now and they are fresh and hold up perfectly fine. Possibly your LBS stores their tyres poorly?

Straight out of boxes, had been stored in a dry basement. Went from soft and smooth to hard and cracked in a little over a month once fitted to the bike, seemed to age 25 years in 5 weeks.

Got my 'Veloflex Pave/Master 2010 22mm 180gr tyre' though and tried them today. Felt great, fast, good on corners. Feel sticky though so we'll see how they last.

Back