NWA & NE&Yorks: Settle-Malham ~ 19/02/11 ~ AFTERMATH

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
NWA & NE&Yorks: Settle to Malham, Dales ~ 19/02/11

Aftermath thread from the NWA perspective.

RB-Settle-Malham_00.jpg

A cold day in the Dales

The weather on the way up the motorway wasn't really living up to the pictures posted on the announcement thread. Those clear blue skies and rolling green hills, were in reality just several wet shades of grey. The overnight snowfall had coated the hills and sleet and slush prevailed at lower levers.
Gradually though the windscreen wipers were switched to intermittent, and then eventually off completely, as Settle became closer and closer.
An argument with the satnav and a stop at McDonalds for some high quality athlete's fuel meant that we were already running late by the time we pulled into a car park full of cold and apprehensive looking retrobikers.

A few apologies and an assembling of bikes, mixed with all the usual pay and display faff, eventually saw us setting off shortly after 11am.

The first climb was a good test of the layering principal. Cold limbs were quickly brought up to temperature and beyond, with a steep and merciless climb. The surface deteriorated along with traction levels as we crossed the snow line. With the soft wet slushy snow, it was very tricky to maintain forward momentum. Wheels were spinning and sliding out and it proved quicker and easier to just get off and push. At this stage things weren't looking too promising...

The bikes ~ (click image for a larger version)

RB-Settle-Malham_03.jpg

The riders ~ LtoR: Charlieboy, HarryCrumb, Kev Duckworth, Woody, giant-one, elPedro666, beavis, kaya, mr_ship, brocklanders, saltyman, Rich Aitch, mrlee (hiding) and paininthe. (drystonepaul taking photos while dodging snowballs)

15 riders had braved the elements to tackle the high level moorland crossing from Settle to Malham and back again. The choice of machinery was as impressive as the views could've been, if it wasn't for the hill fog.
Representing the steel fraternity there was an Orange Clockwork, a Fat Chance Yo Eddy, a DeKerf Generation, a GT Avalanche, an Alpinestars Cro-Mega, a Marin Bear Valley and a couple of Saracens. In the aluminium corner we had an Ibis Alibi, a Kona AA and a Zaskar, while the titanium fetishists would have been more than satisfied with a Dyna Tech MT5 and a Marin Team Titanium.
Also of note was Saltyman's Salsa Mukluk. The ideal choice perhaps considering the snowy conditions.

RB-Settle-Malham_05.jpg

Brocklanders lines up the dominos.

RB-Settle-Malham_06.jpg

A brief respite from the opening climb before phase two of the ride. Another climb.

RB-Settle-Malham_07.jpg

90, 91, 92, 93... An eclectic mix of beautiful old bikes

RB-Settle-Malham_08.jpg

HarryCrumb checks everyone for frostbite

After a rest for a breather and a conference about whether or not to continue we opted to press onwards and quite literally upwards. At this higher altitude though the snow was colder and less slushy which added traction. The surface became much more rideable albeit still fairly tricky and slippery.
Saltyman's power climbing snapped his chain and after a cold fingered repair we continued higher and higher up into the mist.

RB-Settle-Malham_09.jpg

Charlieboy in 'rides a modern bike on a retro ride' slur shocker!

RB-Settle-Malham_10.jpg

HarryCrumb packs his parachute for the return journey

RB-Settle-Malham_02.jpg

giant-one tests out his new Saracen

Once on top of the moors, a well defined and fairly level track took us steadily eastwards towards Malham. There were plenty of edges and hidden obstacles in the snow though, which caught many a rider out. Fortunately everyone ended up on the ground laughing rather than damaging themselves or their bikes.

Finally, the track began to point downwards and a great section of gravity assisted riding followed, as we ploughed and played our way through the snow.

RB-Settle-Malham_11.jpg

Up in the fog before a great descent

Reaching the road near to Malham Cove we climbed up and then dropped down a treacherous bit of tarmac towards the Tarn. Veering off towards the Malham Tarn field centre a slide and a twist of the saddle meant disaster for Brocklander's Syncros seatpost. A split down the shaft meant the head of the post and the saddle had separated. Even zip ties and gaffa tape couldn't fix this mechanical.
With the broken post removed, Edd bravely soldiered on without anywhere to sit on his bike. Fortunately we weren't too far from the salvation of the pub in Malham.

Another stop to regroup revealed that Edd wasn't the only one who was having trouble with his Syncros seatpost. This time mr_ship discovered a crack across the bolt hole on his Syncros titanium post.

Onwards we rounded the Tarn, which was barely visible in the heavy fog. A passing coach load of field tripping students trudged along in the opposite direction, clearly impressed by the fat tyred Mukluk in particular.
But we were all fat and tired by this point and eagerly anticipated our visit to the pub.

RB-Settle-Malham_12.jpg

Grinners in the mist. (grins not visible due to the mist)

RB-Settle-Malham_13.jpg

Straight outta 98. The secret joy of STX-RC.

Back on snow covered tarmac, the next section was brilliant fun, as the road dropped steeply down a series of tight bends and on into Malham.
The burning smell of fried cantilevers and brake pads was heavy, and whoops of delight, or maybe the squeal of rims filled the air.

With everyone safely avoiding straight lining it into a drystone wall, we reached the pub, delighted that they were still serving food. We quickly filled several tables by the fire and formed an orderly queue at the bar.

RB-Settle-Malham_14.jpg

A couple of close favourites

By now it was approaching 3pm and the prospect of finishing the ride in the dark was a distinct possibility. It had afterall taken over four hours to get to just over the halfway point. The tough conditions and more than our fair share of mechanicals meant that we would only have about an hour and a half to get back to Settle in the remaining wintry daylight.
Over hearty portions of chips, pies and ale, we decided that our only realistic option was to return on the road.

More importantly we had to decide on the bike of the ride...
With any bikes suffering broken seatposts or chains instantly discounted, this still left many strong contenders. The three ride leaders, Kaya, HarryCrumb and myself, stepped aside leaving the remaining choice still very tricky.
Eventually after applying a rule based on period correctness, previous winners, original features and pure whim there could be only one winner.

The 400LX equipped Bike of the Ride was agreed as Rich Aitch's Marin Bear Valley. The tyres and saddle may have been modern but the rest of the bike was completely original and in very good condition. Rich should also have been awarded a bravery medal for tackling the descents with plastic cantilevers...

RB-Settle-Malham_16.jpg

Bike of the Ride ~ Marin Bear Valley

Brocklanders had to retire at the pub due to his broken post and beavis left to find a recovery vehicle leaving a lucky 13 riders on the return leg. The snowy tarmac proved to be a fast route back, with speeds clocked up in the high thirty miles per hour on the final brake testing drop into Settle.
With everyone safely counted back in, bikes were dismantled and cold layers replaced with warm clothes back at the cars.

After a few long goodbyes everyone gradually packed everything away and began their journey's home.

Another great retrobike ride.

RB-Settle-Malham_15.jpg

Fat Tyre Flyer

The NE & Yorks aftermath thread is here: ---> http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137676

Always nice to see things from the Yorkshire perspective too...

Great write up as always and reflects the ride well. It's amazing how the first trudge turned into something quite special. Even at the roughest, RB stoicism won through. I'm used to pushing a bike, to some others this would have been a novelty. Yet it was all taken very well.

i couldnt of rode this on any other bike than the mukluk.

i have barely rode a bike in over 3 months and the previous day couldnt even walk up a flight of stairs with my poorly knee.

i woke on the morning, looked at the 2 bike options..........light xc bike with skinny tires so no traction and more work needed.......or the 37lb snow bike that in theory, should give me an easier ride.

i picked the right choice. cracking day and i ended it quite refreshed, rather than in a sweaty aching mess.

thanks for not taking the pee out it too much folks :p

saltyman":2pv2jzjc said:
thanks for not taking the pee out it too much folks :p

Think it was widely adulated - certainly the only thing there which could do turns and the smoking brakes at the end were a superb touch :LOL:

elPedro666":193g60ar said:
the smoking brakes at the end were a superb touch :LOL:

at the time i was bricking it......though when i look back i was simply taking the opportunity to 'bed them in' :LOL:

an excellent summery paul and great pics too, kinda makes me want to go back again :shock: a cracking day :LOL: cheers

Excellent writeup as always Paul, I think a return visit for the views is in order. BIG Thanks to everyone who made the day a success :cool:

mrlee":2o8rorsx said:
i must admit getting a bit carried away on the last descent home, a foot wide track in snow on tarmac at 37 mph heading in to chicane with canti's was so much fun :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: i hope no one was following ;) cheers lads really enjoyed today ,
Lee

I missed this post earlier, let me see if I can set the picture, a load of blokes on bikes up to 25yrs old, cantis and U brakes (scaredy cats on Vs) and a scattering of maguras. Knobbly tyres of various ages. Put before them a 2.6ml long 800ft descent (36ft of climb :) ) and what do they do. Not what they should have!

It is probably a road the council have a lot of pride in, great tarmac and well kept, except we didn't know that, we could only see two black lines about 1ft wide 2ft apart. Well off we went, me with my friend Gay Abandon, down this road, and well it got quicker and quicker and a right turn, some Mr Lee airborne!, a left, a very worried Saxo driver. More speed and the road losing it's snow; Some lovely long rights and lefts and then some Mr Lee for it is he! signalling frantically that something was ahead. And there was! a sharp 90 left and sharp 90 right, for a part of that I must have been in some control, but I don't recall it!

Anyway safely to the bottom and smiles wider than any Cheshire cat could have summoned up.

A great thanks then to MrLee who had the foresight and wits that when it was/could have gone wrong he thought about those behind. I thank you.

A top right up again Paul.

Sat at my desk at work wishing I was still up there on my bike, regardless of the conditions. :roll:

Great ride and fantastic company :D

Back