SKYE: 30th April - 1st May ?

The Ken":d7t4rfsu said:
Definately want a route that includes the old man of storr at some point - could that be combined with the short Quiraing loop but maybe not be the whole Trotternish loop on the second day as it will be a long drive home at the end.

The old man, and the quiraing are close enough together, basically at the either end of the same inland cliff. Probably 11-13miles apart.

I've walked up the old man many, many times, it's a relatively steep ascent from the road. 2 choices, through the forest at car park, or up the edge of the forest (portree side). The forest path is probably the most ride-able although I've not walked this in years as it used to be very muddy, although I think they've built it up. the edge of the forest following an old wall is too steep an ascent for bikes, although would make a great decent.

The Quiraing, I've had a fair bit of fun walking and biking, the path is tight and plenty of off piste fun to be had. Some scrambling too, prison, although the rock is dubious.

April has been mild the last few years. Would recommended the bunk house just in case. Or my own preference would be http://www.carbost.f9.co.uk/

A better pub, good food. Only ~5miles from Sligachan, with plenty of pedaling straight out the door. Single track roads, forest tracks, scenic run over to glen brittle, talasker bay, forest trail.

That bunkhouse looks great gmac - I'd be up for friday and saturday stay for the weekend, although the drive back might be a bit hellish.

dyna-ti":11e8qbjh said:
Whats the route from pub to tent/bunkhouse like :?
Get the priorities straight ;)

Priorities, Priorities... ok

Slig - camping - leave bar, turn left, cross road wander down to camp site. 2mins

Slig - bunkhouse - leave bar, turn right, cross road wander up to hostel 3.5mins

Carbost, Old Inn - leave bar, trip up stairs, curse and you're there.

The Ken":11e8qbjh said:
That bunkhouse looks great gmac - I'd be up for friday and saturday stay for the weekend, although the drive back might be a bit hellish.

The Old Inn bunkhouse would be my preference, Slig's nice and had all the passing traffic. If your big on a dram, the Slig has ~200 whiskies on offer and local beer.

The old inn has a more local pub feel, great sea food, varying each day depending what comes straight off the boat.

My family is from the Isle, and I go up once or twice a year. I'll keep an eye of the thread and once you've confirmed your plans I'll see if I can add any beneficial info.

What weekend do we want to do this and who is coming?

Do we Stay at Slig or switch to Carbost?

Hands up now - we need to get this sorted.

I'm very keen, but as my wife is the SNP candidate for Orkney in the next elections, anything before May 5th might be problematic (she doesn't drive...).

Other than that, weekends are good!

Ok Proposed Dates...

2/3rd April - ( I am unlikely ot make this )
9th/10th April
16/17th April
23/24th April (easter weekend so might not be good for those of a chocolate nature)

Steven would be really good to see you there, show her where you keep the bikes so she can do a weekend of Green campaining. :) Or even a weekend of postbus campaining - that could make the news!

18th and 19th April are a Monday and Tuesday, you mean 16th & 17th surely :?

Either way I'll no be there for I'm saving my pennies for Belgium at the end of April.

Have fun ;)

when are your kids easter hols gaz? mine are the first 2 weeks but I have a weekend pass for the second or last weekend of that

Latest posts

Back