Charge Splashback 1.8" tyres quick review

Andy B

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
There's been a fair bit of interest in Charge bikes amberwall Splashback tyres & I've been after some since I first saw them.

So I took the plunge and bought a pair from Wiggle*, they arrived today. In a box, with no other packaging, not even any Haribo :(

Weight averaged over the pair was over the claimed 450g per tyre by 32.5g each for the 1.8" tyres I received

The colour is I guess more tanwall than amberwall as you can see with the contrasting Psycho's in the background

5333941511_9ded5dd1ec_b.jpg

They were pretty tight fitting on a Mavic 217 rim, they may loosen up after they've stretched out a bit, almost had to break out the tyre levers to get the 1st bead on :shock:

They felt nice and supple as I writhed about with near exploding thumbs whilst trying to fit them.

The tread pattern is shallow and quite widely spaced, they look like they will be fast in the right conditions, mainly dry or damp. I don't think they will deal with deep gloop too well so a proper test ride may be some time :LOL:

5333982197_cd9e36f6fd_b.jpg

* If you buy them from wiggle, sign up to the newsletter, you will receive a £5 off if you spend over £50. If you are already signed up for wiggle's newsletter, alter your choices of which ones you get & you get a £5 voucher too ;)

Hi Andy B,
did you ride your Splashbacks yet? If so, do you like them?

I love them!

They are fast rolling work very well in dry/moist conditions as well as working ok in 2" of sloppy gloop on top of hardpacked trails, they just don't seem to lose grip in the above conditions, the tread clears pretty well too

Very grippy too @ ~30psi

I highly recommend them!

Thanks! Makes me want these tires a bit more. I don't know if you ride modern day tires, but if you do, can you compare the splashbacks with any modern tire? And what is the actual tire width of the 1.8?

Rio":2ht1w5ny said:
Thanks! Makes me want these tires a bit more. I don't know if you ride modern day tires, but if you do, can you compare the splashbacks with any modern tire? And what is the actual tire width of the 1.8?
I do ride modern tyres as well. Schwalbe Racing Ralph, Rocket Ron, Black Shark and Nobby Nic as well as Kenda Nevegal Stick E and DTC, Panaracer Fire XC...list goes on a bit lol

They compare very well to modern day tyres for grip, I'd liken them to something between a Nobby Nic and a Racing Ralph in performance terms

This is of course based on 2 rides on the Slpashback's, one in a very dry & dusty Thetford, the other at a sloppy Cannock Chase. I've not ridden anywhere rocky or in deep thick mud with on them though

sounds good. I think I will order a pair. Just not sure about the size, what is the actual size of the tire? It seems a bit wider than a 1.8?

I've got a pair and have yet to put them on.

Looks like a damp to dry tyre though rather than a mud plugger

Neil G":1rjklufj said:
I've got a pair and have yet to put them on.

Looks like a damp to dry tyre though rather than a mud plugger
Yup, they come into their own in damp conditions, plenty of grip

But they do cope with some mud fairly well and the tread pattern clears in the centre area, only the edges seem to clag up a bit.

Did get 3 punctures in them on the last ride, but that was due to freshly cut Hawthorn bushes more than anything else. Thank you very much Mr Farmer :(

A very good 3 season modern tyre with tan walls, highly recommended

Rio":1rjklufj said:
And what is the actual tire width of the 1.8?
I measured the tyre @ 1.835" across the widest section of the tyre, including the knobbly edges.

Rim was a Mavic 217, pressure was ~20psi as I have a slow puncture!

So they measure up as they should do or near enough on my set up

Re: 3 punctures. Same ride same places I had both my band new 2010 Nobby Nic Evo Snakskins go as well. Bar Kevlar/Puncture protection belts I think most tyre would have gone ;)

thanks for measuring up the tire Andy B. good to know that they are actual 1.8 tires

Latest posts

Back