1936 Wards hawthorne Silver King project.

shogun700":2wis2czy said:
Magnificent! I had no idea anyone used aluminum in that era, great work polishing and I love how it turned out, congrats and well done!

They called it Durillium but it is just good old aluminum. Not sure about he metallurgy but it seems relatively soft given that it polishes quickly and easily but also scratches easily. It is easy to buff those scratches out though which is nice.

I finally got the chain lengthened and I took a maiden voyage last night. She is quiet, smooth and the steering is wonderfully stable. It is so amazingly comfortable. The gearing is pretty tall so hills can be a challenge but when you stand up to pedal this thing it is so stable you can really step on it and the big bars give alot of leverage to really mash the pedals. The Morrow coaster is more than enough to lock up the rear wheel and the drum up front modulates suprisingly well and is very progressive. The best thing about it is my wife really likes it and it fits her quite well. The Brooks saddle is by far the most comfortable saddle I have ever used and she loves how cushy it is so hopefully I can get her out on it a bit.

So here is the total cost so far:
Frame and fork: $125
Wheels: $55 dollars to build, parts were free
Handlebars: $70
Saddle: $130
Tires: $50
Pedals $16
Re-chrome for cranks and truss rods: $70
All other parts were scavenged or free.

Total with grips and cables is around $550. By far the cheapest restro I have done and probably the best. I am just pissed because it is supposed to rain all weekend.

Given its age and aluminum construction I just hope she stays together.

That is a stunning bike, and for that kind of money? Very, very well done!!

Very nice job here is one I built up. 1937 and been on the trail.
IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg
[/img]

Nice! How hard was it to squeeze that hub in there? Did you have to spread the frame at all? I though about using a 3 speed on mine but I had the morrow wheel already. I like that handlebar too.

I did have to spread the rear and I was a little worried but it went fine. All I did was two hand it from behind in the stand. I left it a little narrow and it flexes just a bit to get the hub in. the biggest problem was the nut and bolt that hold the stays on interfere a little with the shifter arm on the hub. The bars are 70s motorcycle bars.

Took another ride today. The bladed rear chainstays and seatstays make the rear a little more flexy than I expected but it gives it a nice smooth ride. The tall gearing means she won't win any drag races but once you get going it just cruises along nice and easy.
IMG_5145.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_5149.jpg

That's such a cool bike man, I've never seen one of these before I know I'd never ride it but I'm tempted to do one anyway.

Staf.

MCsanandreas":2qxlg0c8 said:
looks good,very good. but just one thing......cup holders?!! you crazy Americans!
Thats so I can cruise the boardwalk and enjoy my coffee in the mornings, or whatever other beverage is on the menu.

Back