1989 Giant Sierra

ez054098":32ggp0tg said:
In other words, why did you wanted Giant Sierra?

Well, that's an interesting one. Back in the days, end eighties start nineties, I had (still have aamof) a friend which brother owned a Sierra and MTB's were relatively new and they were very interesting for my brother and me.

We asked our father for a MTB. I was 14 or 15 at that time. And after some time he brought back a catalog and asked us which bike we preferred. We were happy but pointed the Stone Breaker as it was affordable. We didn't want to ask something more expensive. At one night our father took us to the LBS as a surprise. And guess what: not a Stone Breaker but a Cold Rock was given us by our dear dad. One for each of us of course ;)

We started riding and I was more driven than my brother. Having no sparring partner I was talking a lot to my friend's brother about the cool hardware. And about the Sierra as well. It was a cool bike and hadn't thought about it the past decades until I recently saw one popping up on our national marketplace website. That triggered all the sweet memories. So I contacted the owner and the sale was done. At first I thought I'd make it a single speed but I reconsidered and just use it as a nice cruiser!

The Giant Escaper I found very interesting as well as being the first bike on the Mont Blanc (according to the catalog). Found one on marketplace as well and the deal was fast and good.

I both keep them in original state. Just need new tires and looking for period correct ones. Any tips are welcome. Preferably in NL.:)

jorgos":gjb4eu8v said:
Well, that's an interesting one. Back in the days, end eighties start nineties, I had (still have aamof) a friend which brother owned a Sierra and MTB's were relatively new and they were very interesting for my brother and me.

We asked our father for a MTB. I was 14 or 15 at that time. And after some time he brought back a catalog and asked us which bike we preferred. We were happy but pointed the Stone Breaker as it was affordable. We didn't want to ask something more expensive. At one night our father took us to the LBS as a surprise. And guess what: not a Stone Breaker but a Cold Rock was given us by our dear dad. One for each of us of course ;)

We started riding and I was more driven than my brother so I was talking a lot to my friend's brother about the cool hardware. And so about the Sierra as well. It was a cool bike and hadn't thought about it the past decades until I saw one popping up on our national marketplace website. That triggered al the sweet memories. So I contacted the owner and the sale was done. At first I thought I'd make it a single speed but I reconsidered and just use it as a nice cruiser!

The Giant Escaper I found very interesting as well as being the first bike on the Mont Blanc (according to the catalog). Found one on marketplace as well and the deal was fast and good.

I both keep them in original state. Just need new tires and looking for "time like" ones (is that correct English)?

Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to see some updated pictures.

Despite old grease and dirt this Mountain LX looks rather nice and minty. Nice find. I'd like keep it as is. Not a bad idea for singlespeed if you have a flat landscape.

Radoslaw":37el13gt said:
Despite old grease and dirt this Mountain LX looks rather nice and minty. Nice find. I'd like keep it as is. Not a bad idea for singlespeed if you have a flat landscape.

I will not alter it and ride it like it is! :D

Any new pics to show?

I'm new to the site. Found your posts through Google. I'm the original owner of an '89 Giant Boulder. I've currently got it all apart now, but looking to bring it back to life. Curious how you made out.

Back