Avanti Ergo Levers with Dual Pivot Brakes

RockySpieler

Retro Newbie
Hi

Question about pull ratio on brakes.

At the moment I have Campag Avanti Ergo's 8S, which currently operate single pivot Campag avanti capiler brakes. These do not so much stop me, but slow my 100kg frame down. I would like to fit dual pivot brakes.

Whilst trawling ebay and Wiggle / Chain reaction etc, I have noticed that the Campag dual pivots do not have a quick release on the calipers (it is now on the newer ergo levers). Other makes, Shimano and Tektro have the quick release on the calipers (similar to my single pivots).

I do not want to upgrade my ergos, so want to mix Ergo levers with Shimano or Tektro dual pivots. Is there a particular model I need regarding pull ratio (for example the Shimano 105 5700 looks like it uses a new pull ratio) see below:-

a couple of years ago I put some ultegra b/ue/green flash deep drop calipers, complete with shimano brake blocks on my winter bike. Like you, stopping was leisurely to say the least. When the blocks eventually wore out, I replaced them with some cheapos (the cycle promotions quid each type ones) and braking was transformed and are now as good as the campag dual pivots on my summer bike.
Have you got any other blocks you could try before investing in calipers?

My Veloce 8 speed Ergos had a button you pushed to allow the lever to go back inside the body. This gave enough slack in the cable to allow you to get the wheel out. Do yours not have this?

Mark.

daccordimark":217xfjpr said:
My Veloce 8 speed Ergos had a button you pushed to allow the lever to go back inside the body. This gave enough slack in the cable to allow you to get the wheel out. Do yours not have this?

Mark.

Thanks Mark I will check when I get home, is the button under the rubber hood?

Jason

No, it's part of the brake lever. These pictures show it quite well.

http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... 5&AbsPos=6

In the front-on picture it is the little silver cylinder sticking out from the top of the lever (they are pictured outside to outside if you see what I mean). In the normal position they stick out of the inside face of the lever and you push them through to the outside. The cutout on the outside of the lever body goes further back so the lever retreats slightly into the body. The little cylinder is spring loaded so that when you pull on the brake lever it automatically pops back through to the other side to take up the slack in the cable.

That doesn't make much sense reading it back but it's the best I can do! If you haven't got those little cylinders/pins then you'll have to go back to square one and get Shimano or Tektro. I've got Shimano on my otherwise Veloce equipped modern bike and the dual pivots are fantastic. They are the R650 as I needed deep drop (seem to be Tiagra quality for more than 105 money but hey ho) and the QR on the calipers is handy because with big tyres on narrow rims the brake lever QR isn't quite enough on it's own.

Mark.

RockySpieler":137x8olp said:
daccordimark":137x8olp said:

Mark.

Thanks Mark I will check when I get home, is the button under the rubber hood?

Jason

Mark

You were right, sort of!

I had a check, my AVANTI levers (cheapest groupset back then I think) are much more plastic than yours, but they do have a similar method.

They have a plastic black dowel, which you push across (no fancy spring return....on my light weight racer brifters :LOL: ), it then gives you a little slack on the brake cables, you can just get the wheels off, but it is very tight. The release on the calipers is more generous, and wheels can easily be removed.

Thanks for your help

Jason

update

Had another play tonight, and there is enough movement, so I will be searching for some suitable campagnolo dual pivots.

Back