Reynolds Hindiminimum & Alluminimum, any info?

Some Guy

Retro Guru
Hi

Long story short, Ive almost finished collecting components for a 1959 road bike build, I'll post a few more recent photos here shortly. (I had been posting a few details in the BikeRadar Special Interests section, listed as "Almost a complete clubman in a box").

In a box of parts I found a drop handlebar (23.8mm dia) marked Reynolds Alluminium Alloy, an a "rolled over top" seat post marked Reynolds Hindiminimum. Does anyone know any approx dates of manufacture for these products, or have any links?

Google finds most things, but not these aparently?

Many thanks in advance for any details.

Mark

Wow, quick and v informative! Many thanks.

I've been through Classic Lightweights an found nothing, but I'll have a root around Classic Rendevous. Cheers for the tip.

No idea about the components, but the material quoted could be a mis-spelling of Hiduminium ... an aluminium alloy used for aircraft applications. I must have put in about 10000 purple-anodized hiduminium rivets on Sea King helicopters!

I had a pair of Reynolds alloy bars when I first started riding in the early 60's. They were marked 'Time Trial' bars and were very wide and deep with a slight 'upturn' on the top 'corners'. I used to notice that quite a few of the top time triallists of the day (and earlier, eg Ken Craven) used them so they must be from the 50's at least. They didn't have a centre 'bulge' so I used bits of Meccano plate to pack them into my steel stem (Pivo?).

Red_Riviera: :oops: It's not unlikely that I miss spelled it, the post is in the frame at the moment. I believe Reynolds had a hand in aircraft production during WWII, so maybe there's a link there?

Old Ned: 1st hand experience & info, many thanks indeed! I didn't see a model name, but I've just rechecked(!) the bars an they're marked Maes (hidden under old tape residue). These bars also don't have a central raised clamping area, but they came fitted to an early '50s Holdsworth steel lugged steel stem, an it had a split piece of alloy tube (to space & protect?)

Many thanks to all!
Mark

one-eyed_jim":1mr1tm3u said:
I'd love to know why those Sea-King rivets were anodized purple!

If you found one you would know where it came from? I just did a small stint at BAE and iirc the rivets where coloured coded to issue time.

Back