Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Google+

• Another bike site

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, as I shall be riding (trying to keep up?) with nine of you in June I thought I'd better RE-introduce myself... :oops:

The more observant amongst our number will have noticed I've changed my avatar to what my other half would call 'something entirely more appropriate!' I'm inclined think that's actually a terrible slur on my character but after 'OSMM 2011' you may all concur... :roll:

So, this is me now...

IMG_0081.jpg

...that I've given up trying to make out I still have as much hair as I used to and accepted that I look better without - at least in this rather grainy, Photoshop'd enlargement anyway!

See you all who are attending in June and let's hope I can live up to my own expectations at least!

Hi everybody, I've used this site a little in the past but thought I'd formally introduce myself. My real name's Steve and I've got a 2005 Trek 4500, a 1997 GT Palomar and a 1978 Raleigh Transit.
Just bought a late 80's Claud Butler Cape Wrath frame which will be replacing the Palomar frame (going in the skip, it's a horrible, horrible frame). Also selling the Raleigh as it's too small for me, and turning the Claud Butler into a really nice commuting/expedition bike.

Will be asking a few questions in the future and giving a few bits away too (Kona Hahanna frame anybody?).

Laters xxx

Hi all

done this the wrong way round and posted a wanted thread before introducing myself. So apologies for bad etiquette, but only just found this thread! haha

Been into cycling since i first rode without stabilisers when i was 4, hooked from then. Many scars and wounds from pretty much the first day of trying to jump anything and go as fast as i can.

got into BMXs when i was 13 then mountain bikes when i was about 26. A marriage and kids put a stop to that, then a divorce got me back into oldschool bmx a few years back, which i restored a few of the bikes i always wanted as a kid.

A motorcycle accident put a stop to me being able to ride 20 inchers so i got into MTB again.

I currently have a 2001 Rockhopper Pro, a 2010 Scott Aspect and a 2011 Orange Elite pro.
Now on the verge of getting a retro Orange Alu-O or Elite, if i can make my mind up from all the beauties that are available.

Jim

I'm not alone!

Hello to everyone out there in retro-land.

Firstly I'm really miffed that you guys met up last weekend in my local woods & I wasnt at home! :evil:
Due to my job I spend alot of time out of the UK & always miss stuff...

I currently ride a 97 OrangeP7, the first 'proper' mountain bike I ever owned (from new), I never sold the bike because over all these years its the most comfortable bike ive ever ridden.

The latest reincarnation of the P7 started last year, (I also ride a 99 Orange E4 with pace forks & hope sport discs). The E4 was in for some tlc so in bits and i didnt fancy using my Spesh bouncy thing through the winter, so when in the loft I had an idea.... :idea:
A few months later here I am, loving the winter (I'm a bit strange that way) and the old P7, still my favourite bike. Ever.

I'm very lucky as Cannock Chase is only 10mins ride from my place & I try to get out as often as I can, even for night rides.
The thing is I get lots of people ask me about the bike or just stare because its got no supension I guess, I dont know? :shock:

Anyway I found you retro-heads through MBR and think its great that so many nutters, errr sorry fellow people love their old bikes :eek:
I enjoy reading rather than posting, but Id love to join in on one of your rides sometime and chew the fat.
Biking has always been about just being out there in the woods and having fun its a social thing as well as keeping fit :D

Cheers :D

Hello to all.....

I have a confession..... I've been lurking around the site for about a year! I thought it was about time to actually register and say hello, so here I am.

Started riding proper (ish) MTB in 1995 i think, my first bike being the obligatory Muddy Fox courier which i got for my birthday that year, went away for christmas and it got stolen from a well locked shed and the bike was locked to a ground anchor too!!! eventually got some insurance money for it and my 2nd MTB was bought, a bottom of the range carrera, but I loved that bike and rode it into the ground over the next 2 years untill i got my first job and could buy a second hand GT timberline painted a kind of granite effect (weighed the same too) from my LBS, after a summer of working and riding the GT ALOT! I got me a spcialized rockhopper, 1999 comes round and ever since first seeing a pro-flex I wanted one, in the magazines the 1998 models were half price! i had to have the '3000' easton alu main frame, carbon swingarm, LX/XT groupset, as luck would have my LBS had one still in stock but priced up at it's RRP £1649 I think, so pointed it out in an advert in that months MBUK where it was half price and Mr LBS said "we can do that for you Bob" so there it was, she was mine, my dream bike (almost) the next day I was back in the shop to finish my dream...... FULL XTR groupset.... HOW MUCH!!!!!! but I had to have it.

So, all in all a fairly rapid progress through the bikes, as time went on I stupidly stupidly sold my dream bike, started driving, got bogged down with work, got married etc and now we're 10 years later and I started to think, Hmmmm...... maaaybeee I could afford an old Klein now, errrrm no, no i can't, oh well, my love for bikes and riding was rekindled last year when I happened accross a GT (nothing special) in a freinds garage and he said "take it, it's no use to me" i said "ok, thank you" since then I've aquired a 1998 Marin B17, 1994? Marin muirwoods, 1993 Kona Hahanna, plus a couple of newer bikes :oops:

So that's me.. Bob

Hi guys.

Been checking out a few posts on here recently on the recommendation of a dude in my local bike shop, so thought I'd register and say hello! :D

My real name is Ali, and, like everyone on here I guess, been riding since I could stand up. Been through the usual BMX phase when I was about 10, and had MTBs since 14 or so.

Back in 2007 I picked up my brand new Marin Northside Trail (admittedly not retro) and it was that bike that got me properly into trail riding and thrill seeking. And I won't ever get rid!

So, on a complete off chance, 5 months ago I found myself a 1998 (I think) Intense M1, in bare aluminium finish with all original decals, and in pretty much full working order. Referred to lovingly by my mates as 'the bean can'! :D

Now it is my mission to gradually bring the bike up to scratch as a bulletproof weekend toy. I can't wait!!

Hi all,

Coming out of "lurk" mode after a month or so - retrobike is an impressive community, and I want to join in the fun!

Current project is an ebay special (allegedly KHS Montana Pro) frame with a 1993 frame number. I am building it up as the spiritual successor to my beloved 1992 Kona Fire Mountain that was sadly stolen when on loan to a friend.

Pictures to follow (its currently at the LBS having a headset pressed in), but I'm using this as an excuse to hunt down the bits needed to build up the bike I'd have loved to have when I was an MBUK-mad teenager. Most exciting items so far are the Pace RC35 MXCD forks and a set of blue Maguras.

Other bikes include a 1960's Carlton set up as a streetbike, a Condor cross bike used as a fast tourer and an under-used tandem. And a pile of bits, obviously?!

Am based in Central London - not an area known for its hills! - but interested to hear of bike jumbles and other excuses to oggle nice retro bikes'n'bits!

All the best,

Rob

Hi Fellas,

I think like a lot of people i started looking for an old frame to ride as single speed, but once i started looking into it i began to realise how big the retro bike community was!

I eventually took the plunge and bought a 1991 Trek 8000 which i have discovered is cracked so i'll be posting pics and asking for advice soon.

Now i'm thinking less single speed and more refurbishment project! maybe i'm a retro bike addict already.

Cheers
Matt

Hi all

Hi I used to ride hard now i just seem to ride hard bikes and hope it will suffice !
I have got rid of a lot of my bikes so I am down to my last 7 or so now and feel much better for it.

I am currently checking over my old faves to get them back on the road after yet another temporary bout of road insanity and fancied some more mtb.

I havent seen any other DNA's on here so far have they all fallen apart or am i part of some clandestine group that just shouldn't talk about them ?
I have my big bone comming out of mothballs in the next week or so dripping with original old school bling paul front mech,rond titanium forksand matching headset,ambrosio carbon titanium hubs that i laced onto 317 ti-di with ti spokes and ally spline drive nipples,xt drivetrain "8 speed" and a bespoke midleburn rs1 that is colour matched.

only bugbear is the hope ti bottom bracket has siezed in there solid and will need cutting out if it dosen't behave very soon.

my zaskar situation is getting a bit dire I am down to my last 2 both with tripple clamps and lightweight everything i have even ti tuned my rc 37's on the silver one.
and the 25th aniversary maguras twinkle invitingly whenever i go out .

my kilauea is feeling a bit sorry for itself as it hasn't seen daylight for 10 years but is on the list for a revamp soon,as i cant leave the cooks brothers cranks the ambrosio tank wheels and the 1" tyres forever coroding quietly and I have a softride beam just itching to bolt on and make it rear sus.

the cinder cone is faring well and just needs cleaning
the stumpjumper and the hardrock just exist an carry on working

but they all play second fiddle to my new handmade 29'r and whine constantly for a ride(I highly recommend it to anyone to buy a tig and some tubes and diy a bike it feels great)

oh well i had better be off I need to build some more wheels for my mates hetchins !!
build some more bikes and teach some more bikeability

if i could work out how i would post some pic's but it is a struggle at the moment to get it to work properly

Attachments

• smaller black bike.jpg
    smaller black bike.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,499
Hi to all,

after only reading for a long time thought its time to register ;-)
Some of you may know me from the german ibc forum.

Cheers
Lars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back