99 FSR elite, completed at last!!!

Original forks on these FSRs gave 4.5 inches or just under 120mm of travel.

I've got one of these 99 Elite frames in the garage - getting quite tempted to build it up :)

I also happen to be selling a 98 FSR Extreme is anyone's interested ;)

I've just bought a '99 FSR PRO frame which should arrive Wednesday/Thursday :)
Looking forward to the build, stripped my kona stinky to justify it

Same frame as mine; I've gotta get the pictures up asap! Those forks are WAY too long if you're using that standard rear shock and shock plate. BETD/ Goldtec did one that let you use the standard 165mm eye to eye shock but choose from 4, 5 or 6 inches of travel. 150mm travel front forks such as the Z150 (or even 5" Shermans as I found out!) are PERFECT for some aggressive riding as the angles aren't too messed up and unless you weigh 15 stone you'll be fine with some heavy fork oil. Try a slightly longer stem if you can't get her up hills easily as well :cool:

REar shock for the FSR

Mine still has the original Fox Vanilla shock and it never really had the right spring if I'm honest. Too soft. But I never really hammered it.

However, now it's all a bit tired and I did a bunch of research to try and figure how to upgrade / replace the shock. Didn't really conclude anything as there seem to be a bunch of sizes these days (this is my only rear-sus bike so my tech knowledge ended at the FSR). I'm 85kg and ideally want a relatively easy swap. Anything come to mind?

Any clues much appreciated.

D

As I said, 165mm eye to eye shock! It doesn't matter if it's coil or air sprung but I'd go for coil if you're gonna give it some abuse with those long travel forks :LOL: Steer clear of the Rock Shox rear shocks just, they got mangled within a couple of rides :evil:
Keep checking fleabay for 165mm Fox shocks; we don't need 5th element etc on these frames as the suspension design works...end of :cool:
You should be able to read the spring rate off your existing spring, just try something harder; I'm the same weight as you so I know how annoying tonnes of sag can be with only 4.5" of rear travel :roll:

And another thing

Thanks for that. Sounds too easy ;) Had a quick search and nothing there at the moment. Will keep an eye out. Did find some a while ago but they had strange top linkage connections, so got me worried that there was a specific top and bottom linkage type or size too. Seems not.

Man this is like therapy... I may try my luck on a few other things to see if I can regain FSR karma.

Thing number 1: I've always had is a 'knocking' while pedaling under load. Feels like a bearing has gone square in the bottom bracket kinda knocking. Replace the BB, changed wheels, checked chain and pedals and all the usual stuff. If I strip the real linkages and grease up, it solves it for a week or so. What's that all about?

Thing number 2: Due to repeated Thing number 1 maintenance, one of the rear linkage bolts can't be removed. It anchors in the middle (as there's a bolt on the other side also) and the 'middle' now just spins, so the bolt can't be undone. Other than 'take it to an engineer' or 'buy a new linkage', any tips? Maybe a cutaway diagram exists so I can at least see what's going on. I assume I'll have to drill it at some stage though and replace the linkage... if I can find one that is!
fsr_link.jpg

We gotta stick together keeping these babies on the dirt. :)

Dino

Re: And another thing

dinozoiks":2jz51u23 said:
We gotta stick together keeping these babies on the dirt. :)

Dino

Hooray for that. I have a 98 Ground Control FSR Comp that's doing over around 150 miles a month at the moment.

Back