Hello. I'm new here. Have a look at my bargain find....

That's be nice but they can't come up very regularly
Actually I bought some of the original Maguras when they came out (HS1's?) for my Kona Kilauea and they were ace I remember they cost me about £280 for the set and I only got one brake booster at that price. I stripped one of the levers shortening the hose an it cost me £67 for a new lever. I was not happy. :)

Weclome!

Hey Welcome!

Love the bike £15 stroke of luck

The brakes? I think you'd be OK either way

Properly setup cantis which contact the rim square on with the brakes applied are fine

BITD we rode aggressively with cantis and most of us didn't die even before vee brakes?

However, I have to concede cantis aren't as powerful as vee brakes! You can always fit your Vees and keep that cantis in the ole' parts bin...

If you upgrade the brakes... What's next? Sounds like a rolling build coming on???

As for paint? Looks good :D I'd keep the original paint

I love how happy you look! The genuine joy only a RetroBiking bargain can bring!

Re: Weclome!

hydorah":3i3iuh89 said:
Hey Welcome!

Properly setup cantis which contact the rim square on with the brakes applied are fine

BITD we rode aggressively with cantis and most of us didn't die even before vee brakes?

Cantis do work although I am now a disc brake convert (Boo Hisss I hear!!)

Check that the cable from both brake levers makes angle of 90 degrees - this will give optimum performance so you may need a shorter cable.

I did that change, on my Saracen as it happens, and it improved the brakes for sure. (I converted it to V-brakes later on)

Welcome and lovely find :cool:

Get some decent pads and set the cantis up proper ;) Performance between canti & v there isn't a lot in it imo..

Maguras is the way I would go on this particular bike :cool:

I would agree that if I was restoring a bike to it's period glory I would keep the original brakes on, but this is a bike to ride with and not of any significant retro value.

I would like a couple of my bikes again -a GT Tequesta with U brake in that black and white zebra stripe (92 maybe??) and a Kona Kilauea, the grey one made from Tange Prestige. Now those I would want to restore with period parts.

By the way, how do I create a signature on my posts like most on here have done?

Latest posts

Back